R26 To 400bhp?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jamie Steer, Aug 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone

I'm Jamie and relatively new to french cars, I have previously owned a VTR Saxo for a short period.
    Now I am looking to purchase an Megane R26, My aim with the R26 would be 350-400Bhp!
    Now let's say money no issue
    Would this be feasible and would the car still be drive able? Its main use would be track days and spirited drives around A and B roads not a daily driver in any stretch.

Also worried about the fact its Fwd, would it just spin up in the dry etc at upwards of 400bhp.

Any input much appreciated

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Jamie and welcome

Its quite easy really, i have forged a 225 there's a thread on here somewhere
    There is also this thread of my 265, the same engine basically.

https://rsmegane.com/threads/265-engine-forging.19816/

I will be sorting my R26 over winter same turbo as used on my 265 but adding Clio 172/182 cams been told 400+ is achievable

Any questions feel free to ask away

3. I think there are/have been plenty at the 400bhp mark and providing they're mapped correctly so it's a smooth delivery of power/good tyres etc then they should be great to drive when used for track and B road blasting.

Plenty of people would say buy a different car which can achieve the 400bhp mark easier and a lot cheaper but if you're committed to using the R26 then it's great base car.

Mine is around 300bhp/300lbft torque and it's excellent to drive, I can only imagine what one running +100 bhp would be like. I've been tempted to go the same route myself but the cost of paying someone to forge/k-swap the car for me is just too much and I can't justify it.

If you're very handy with cars like Ian above then it's definitely worth doing in my opinion and I'd already be well on my way to doing it now, but the cost of a drive in/drive out service + parts would just be too much for me.

ianplymouth likes this.