My new project R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 30, 2020.

1. I bought this just over a week ago.

Uses oil and low compression in one cylinder.
    It drove pretty well on the way home, didn't boot it as i wanted to make sure i got home okay.

It also had a real bad steering issue, accelerate and it dived off to the left, back off and it dives to the left, another reason for taking it easy :laughing::laughing:

50665554698_cb8261de85_k.jpg PXL_20201130_113614741 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

So to find out what is wrong with this engine of course it has to come out.

50665555188_748caf9ae3_k.jpg PXL_20201130_175410876 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

While stripping the suspension, found the passenger side track control arm bolt was well loose, nothing else feels that it could have caused the problem.

Is it worth me doing another strip and rebuild process ????
    If you do is there anything in particular you want me to spend more time on :mask::mask:

2. you have broke the record for removing f4rt engines ian!..more floor hours coming your way you nutter!

Jukidam and JJZ like this.
  3. I have to keep my hand in :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Going to beat staying in the house over Christmas and new year with the Mrs, can escape to the workshop for some piece and quite :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

JJZ and Poppaboost like this.
  4. Well it’s got a Renault oil filter on it!bo expense spared

5. Stripped the engine today.
    The front crankshaft oil seal is leaking and oil has been getting on the cambelt, so i doubt it would be that that long before it would cause a problem.

50669425516_9a001eeeb4_k.jpg PXL_20201201_114033541 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

50669502222_f059af6313_k.jpg PXL_20201201_114014478 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

6. Then with the intake and exhaust manifolds off, its head removal time

The inside of the cam box isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be, the last one i did was really bad with burnt oil residue.

All of the pistons were oily, the turbo in and out was a bit oily as well but not dripping, the intercooler had some oil in the bottom when it was removed.
    The intake pipe and the inlet manifold didn't look that bad.

So i think there is also a problem the head either valve stem seals or the guides themselves.

50669503177_ebe20ee2b4_k.jpg PXL_20201201_131023860 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

50669503572_3b6bc674f9_k.jpg PXL_20201201_131046396 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Conoboy and JJZ like this.
  7. Next step was the remove the pistons, so remove the sump undo the big end bolts and push the pistons out, nu,ber one cylinder should be the one with the biggest problem, after pulling the piston all i could see was that the piston ring gaps were almost inline, not really a problem but it doesn't help.

I was told that this engine had 250 pistons and rods fitted and yes there are, all the bearings are in a great condition, so the crank is good.

Another piston also had the compression ring gaps inline, but not on number 1 cylinder, so i will have to look elsewhere.

250 piston, notice the tapered small end of the rod

50669594447_1038c7108d_k.jpg PXL_20201201_163421799 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

50669519666_bf59a1ce03_k.jpg PXL_20201201_163406307 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

8. nice one ian..always good to see this sort of stuff.

9. Cheers Andrew, quite nice just pottering away in the workshop on my own listening to the radio and no one bothering me :laughing::laughing:

JJZ and manugtt like this.
  10. where i am listening to the radio at work..with every fkn one bothering me!

11. The liners, number 1 looks the best
    50669563356_ddbf57d11e_k.jpg Pistons 1-2 by Ian Austin, on Flickr
    Number 2
    50669639212_e290505537_k.jpg Pistons 1-2 by Ian Austin, on Flickr
    Number 3, there are some score marks you can just feel them
    50669635512_ec3ddb0dd0_k.jpg Pistons 3-4 by Ian Austin, on Flickr
    Number 4 these are a little deeper
    50668810113_566d509fe9_k.jpg Pistons 3-4 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Conoboy and JJZ like this.
  12. Just think of all that fresh air :laughing::laughing::laughing:

JJZ likes this.
  13. As there wasn't anything obvious to the low compression issue, then next was to strip the cylinder head.

Removing the first valve and my spring compressor broke, so i had to repair that before i could get the rest out.

I think i have found the compression issue, exhaust valves and seats on number 1 are burnt

50668868058_b7fcae0e43_k.jpg Number 1 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

50669523441_39202c9f26_k.jpg R26 valves by Ian Austin, on Flickr

YorkshireKyle, Conoboy and Brigsy like this.
  14. after removing the valves, the valve stem seals were removed.

Then the valves were placed back in and the guides to see what sort of state there in

So now i have to get all the valve guides replaced, the exhaust ones were the worst but the inlets aren't that much better.

Poppaboost likes this.
  15. Top work Ian!

16. Looks like a decent project. Can see its been detting a bit from pistons and head too.

Whats the plans for it, rebuild as is?

17. Cheers buddy

18. Something must have happened in the past, presume thats why they fitted the 250 pistons and rods.

It will be getting a full engine rebuild, forged pistons and rods, valve guides with Supertec valves and springs.
    New oil pump and chain, all new bearings, etc etc etc

Will also fit my 265 turbo for a while and upgrade later, will also upgrade the fuel pump, fit the 250 fuel rail and setup the raising rate fuel system.

JJZ and Brigsy like this.
  19. I can´t believe you!!:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
    You can´t just stay seating in your armchair with a good cup of tea? Cheer up and here I am waiting next steeps.
    Fucking hero Ian:grin:

ianplymouth likes this.
  20. JJZ

JJZ

congrats on the new project ian just had a read threw your thread and you should be getting a load of notifications for the thumbs ups laughing laughing...... looking forward to the future build i know we couldn’t make angelsey with this covid-19 but hopefully next year will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianplymouth likes this.
  21. Well i don't like sitting around much rather be working on engines etc.

I preferred the Mk2 on track and as that what its going to be used for it will get the full works.

Next step is getting the parts together. :cry::cry:

JJZ and manugtt like this.
  22. Cheers Mate
    Really miss Anglesey, was hoping to give a real go with how its setup now, but i don't think i will get there again in the 265.

I'm really going to get this moving on this as i have 2 days at the ring booked around Easter time, i also need to get it mapped and a trackday or two for testing, i will try and make Anglesey for one of them.

JJZ likes this.
  23. what you doing with the 265?

24. Sure i have sold it already, got 3 trackdays to do first and the person wants to make sure it survives them, then we are swapping a few parts over then he's putting his up for sale.

25. I'm also on the look out for a Half cage, red preferred, but will consider any colour, also not a show cage
    Intercooler, Airtec small version.
    Coilovers, open to suggestions :smirk:
    also a pair of 3" 5 or 6 belt harnesses, FIA can be out of date as not using for competition

26. seen a few cages,and bc`s knocking around on the facebook page last couple of weeks...if i see any i will link it to you mate..

ianplymouth likes this.
  27. Cheers Andrew

28. Hello Ian!!

Seems like you cant stay away from dismantling some F4Rt engines from time to time hehe.

Have fun spending time by your own and whoever is at the microphone on the radio station :tongueclosed::tongueclosed:.

Looking forward to see your new car getting strong again. I'm very interested in the fuel raising set up you are planing to do. Are you going to do some porting on the head too?

29. It's good listening to the radio that's until Sunday at 1pm, ohhh she give me the shits :flushed::flushed:

I have already done the rising rate system, well most of it, that was on my 225, i will do a full bit as this engine doesn't have it.

Probably won't do anything to the head as it's forced induction and doesn't make much difference, N/A yes that then is worth doing.

30. whos that on the radio?..fkn elaine paige i expect!
    but after her is jonnie walker..sounds of the seventies,which is the best show on radio.

ianplymouth likes this.
  31. That's the one :laughing::laughing:

She should be on Radio 4 at least :blush::blush:

32. i fkn hate show tunes...and her fkn laugh!..what the hells all that about.?
    but walkers show is fantastic

33. you got to turn it off quick after walker though,as that nonce paul o grady comes on!

Stock265cup likes this.
  34. I'll have O'Grady any day over Paige

35. ianplymouth likes this.
  36. Its the same guy that wants rear seats etc.

Waiting for a reply :pensive:

37. Saw another one as well, ask for location but no reply, 4 days ago now

38. if push come to shove..i suppose.Hard choice though..drama queen or old queen!

Stock265cup likes this.
  39. Damn I really need to pull my finger out :tearsofjoy:

Great work ian, you'll definitely have this together before mine at this rate!

40. I really hope so, i have a trip to the ring around Easter, need to get it mapped and tested on a couple of track days before then