Fitting a different turbo

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Apr 5, 2020.

1. I was going to do a thread on this after i had the car mapped, but due to the problem i had with it's running that in the end was two bent tangs on the flywheel, missing my mapping slot and the shutdown of the country, also a couple people that knew about this project asking why its not been put up yet.

Well this started quite a while ago, i was in deep conversation with Big Uno throughout his engine build, about half the conversation was on here, the other was text messages and phone calls.

I went through his heart felt troubles with the supply and fitting of the Garrett turbo kit he bought from RS tuning.

On more than one occasion he said that if he was to do all this again he said he would fit a Borg Warner turbo, specifically a EFR6758.

I had been searching for a while and spoke to Tutuur to get another opinion on this turbo and it's viability on a Megane, only to find he had one that he wasn't going to use, so a fist full of Euro's changed hands and this is now mine.

49739267248_e538652592_k.jpg IMG_20191118_094032 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

49740134192_d1d8f0fd79_k.jpg IMG_20191118_094020 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

49739809036_41a9100b8d_k.jpg IMG_20191118_094011 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

2. BBBBOOOOOSSSSTTTTTTTT!

ianplymouth likes this.
  3. what intercooler is on yours ian?

4. One of the reasons my forging took so long was i was trying to fit this to the engine, at one point i really didn't think it was going to fit. :cry::cry:

5. An Airtec 70mm one, told it will be okay as the turbo wont create as much heat :openmouth: didn't expect that

6. I took the heat shield off of the back of the engine bay to try and gain a bit more room to get this turbo in.

That is why the engine came back out again because i thought i might have damaged the wiring loom to the ABS module in the process.

In the end it didn't have to be altered, as tilting the engine backward while fitting gets the turbo in under the scuttle lip.

The waste gate had to be removed and altered, a new bracket had to be made and the actuator arm and to be extended.

Not a great pic but .......

49739269928_49660e1768_k.jpg IMG_20200308_152722 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

JJZ and andrewjeffs like this.
  7. I had some drawings sent over by Tutuur, i tried to get a machining company to make an adaptor for me but without the codes they couldn't help.

A search on Ebay found a piece of steel 20mm thick, 150x150mm, i marked out the pattern on either side, then drilled through where it was clear straight through.

Then the only way i could sort of get it to the shape i wanted was to file it with a round file, i did buy a air die grinder and some cutters, but the bits were going everywhere, i had so many bits stuck into my hands and arms was just too much, so the round file was the safest option.

Was a bit over zealous and needed to get the welder out and try to fill in where i cut to much off.
    In the end its not pretty but it seals and works, i will make another later.

Don't be to hard on me :pensive:

49740137472_9923d0c8e2_k.jpg IMG_20200126_101946 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

49739268558_6d6fa3b02a_k.jpg IMG_20200126_101955 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

49740138417_bad75a6a7a_k.jpg IMG_20200126_102005 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Azza likes this.
  8. Ohhh my word, it looks bad in those pics :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Honestly not that bad in the end

eddie ninja likes this.
  9. The standard exhaust manifold was still used.

I had to file off the lip so that the plate would sit flat, i also eased out the ports to where the lip was for a bit more gas flow.
    I couldn't use the standard turbo gasket as it doesn't have the wiggly bit through the middle, so i smeared some exhaust paste to make a seal between the adaptor and the manifold, the adaptor to the turbo was easy, a T4 gasket.

10. genuine twin scroll nice. what size is the hotside mate

11. That's the bit i forgot to add :cry::cry:
    Yes it's a twin scroll turbo, should still give me decent bottom end torque figure.

Sorry i don't know what size the hot side is, or the AR ratio hopefully @tutuur will be along at some point to tell you and me :laughing::laughing:

12. ohhh you know you got me excited about this job. It is not pretty but it is functional. great job friend

manugtt likes this.
  13. JJZ

JJZ

at leat your trying ian to do it yourself fairplay looks a big turbo that. it doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as it is functional. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Cheers Lok
    can't wait to see what it maps like, i'm more interested in the torque spread than the out and out power, it's my trackcar so drive ability is more important to me, i'm not interested in pub bragging rights :laughing::laughing:

LoK28o and manugtt like this.
  15. It is big, was quite surprised by how big it was, the cold side looks huge, but the whole unit is longer as well and taller as well, that is why i didn't think it would fit, but once i got it under the scuttle drain there is room, with the turbo blanket on it is touching the bulkhead heat shield.

I have more to write up about the install.

16. JJZ

JJZ

i’m looking forward to more of this can’t wait to see the finished product it’s going to be epic.

17. It is finished, but due to the problem i had with the flywheel teeth stopped me getting it mapped before this lockdown, believe me as soon as i can it will be driven to EFI to get this sorted, for now its sat outside my workshop :cry::cry:

18. JJZ

JJZ

no i completely understand m8 this lock down is a pain but i’d rather be safe than sorry. keep posting ian and stay safe.

19. Cheers JJ
    I would have had it mapped, but the trackday after was cancelled at 5pm the day before, so i would have already been there, they have given me a credit, so not that bad all things considered.

Been home all day today, really the first day doing nothing :openmouth::openmouth:

20. JJZ

JJZ

iv just bought myself a gauge pod from diamond performance that’s my new project [emoji23]with this covid 19 having to stay home and all that [emoji2357] so i’m thinking turbo gauge oil temp and maybe coolent temp but not sure if this is going to be easy to install.

21. Nice bit of bodging there, proper problem solving!

Looks bloody huge tbh, be interested to see a complete engine bay pic showing all the pipework and exhaust etc!

Would you consider fitting a new manifold to make things neater/easier?

Nice work though, the actuator has moved a fair bit, was that a head scratcher?

Shame about the flywheel spoiling everything.

22. I had a decat left over from my 225, so the standard cat i had been running is going to be put away.

I did a trial fit, the turbo has a V band fitting, so a couple of bolts through the original flange sort of held it in the right place, the engine was then put back in place (temp fit again) to see how far out the pipes are, had to be at least 30mm too high, i bought a couple of V bands and clamps from Ebay.

I had the decat pipe cut and i bolted it to the bracket, lined it up by fitting the engine back again and really tightening up bolt so it wouldn't move, pulled the engine back out, thought it had moved so once again the engine was refitted, by refitting i mean just hanging it on the engine and gearbox mounts and the lower mount.

I bought a tubular manifold and decat pipe kit from ebay (manifold is for sale :laughing:) the decat pipe got cut up, the V band was welded to the top for the second pipe, then the two were welded together, then the engine was refitted again, the deact pipe was checked, cut and altered slightly.

The guy in the workshop next door welded it for me, then it got wrapped in heat tape.

23. I was told that the extra power would cause heat problems with the oil, so i fitted the oil sandwich plate i took off of the 225, fitted a new oil pressure and temp sensors, i also bought a 2 gauge pod to put my old gauges in, just to keep an eye on the temps, will then work out oil i need to fit an oil cooler.

24. Cheers
    Bodging ???? its temporary fix to make sure things work as they should :confused:

It needs to be a twin scroll manifold, to make a tubular one is awkward, or its going to be huge, i mean with long length pipes, that then slows spool up, there wasn't that much work to do to the manifold in all honesty.

The actuator did have to move quite bit, as by the time i turned the cold air side to get the outlet pipe in the right direction there wasn't any room left, i think it moved about 3 inches, was quite easy that bit, making the bracket was a bit of a faff due to the bends in it.

The flywheel issue about did be in till it was found, seriously thought about stripping it :cry::cry:

25. JJZ

JJZ

sound a bit fidely ian but a least your persistent with it just think of all that horsepower chu chu chu woosh lol [emoji1303]

26. it was all done as part of the engine forging, thought while i was at it and the engine was out, why not

27. JJZ

JJZ

makes a whole lot of sense that no point going backwards engine should be good now for at least between 400 to 500 bhp would you say.

28. once the adaptor was made and the turbo fixed to the manifold, fitting the oil feed and return was next, the fitting from the original turbo was used along with the pipe, its a bit tight and the pipe needed a slight bending but it fitted.

I had a fitting kit with the manifold/decat kit, so i tried to use that but there was no way it was going to fit, so i used the drain from the original turbo, i turned it around and cut it roughly in half, this then allowed it to clear the exhaust manifold.

The pipe from the block was then cut under the manifold, i used the hose supplied with the manifold kit to join the pipes, i also wrapped extra wrap around the pipe as it very close the the manifold

49739270553_a6c4e33080_k.jpg IMG_20200308_152655 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

29. Chris recons 400hp maybe a bit more, but the fuelling will be the limiting factor now

30. Yeah I forget how tightly packed the back of that engine bay is! Did you modify the exhaust manifold in anyway or just leave it? Can't remember, but didn't big uno enlarge it to match the ports? Or was that just the intake?

Interesting that you're looking for low down performance with it being so track oriented.

I'm sure efi will make it really smooth! Originally I couldn't get my head around people running big power as I assumed it wouldn't be drive able, since chris worked his magic I'm sure it would be okay with some extra power!

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nice work Ian! That'll go well for sure

You doing anything about fuel system? I know from when I was gonna build mine 400 odd is getting near the limits of the stock setup

32. Hi Jamie
    How are you doing on the dark side, getting back into a real car again soon :laughing::laughing:

Chris says 400hp will be about all i can expect, think that will be enough for a while, think that it will struggle putting that much power down

33. Ha ha ha i'm old and need it for an easy life, pulling out of a corner in the wet at 3k rpm and it just pulling right through to the red line makes for a relaxing drive :laughing::laughing:

I have already told Chris it the spread of torque i want.

JJZ likes this.
  34. Big uno's turbo was supplied with a tubular manifold, he ported his head and he also did mine, that was the one that was in my 225.

I have modified my standard manifold, took the lip off of the top and opened up the ports too

35. Ahh yes, it's been a while since I looked at the thread! Knew he did something with the ports etc.

It'll be interesting see how well it puts the power down!

36. I did take a couple of pics of the final fit, all up and running

49744213497_3a93d4c922_k.jpg IMG_20200327_155909 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

49744211532_67811334b0_k.jpg IMG_20200327_155852 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Azza, RS250 castle combe and Eder like this.
  37. it looks like someone has been firing a gun at it ian!....only joking

ianplymouth likes this.
  38. But it works :laughing::laughing::laughing:

39. I bought a couple of different fittings for the cooling water connections for the turbo, tried to fit them to the back as the original ones are but with the pipes on they catch on the heat shield on the bulkhead.
    That was yet another engine fit and take out again.

I then fitted them to the front part of the turbo, i had to turn the core, so the fittings pointed down then i could get some pipework onto them, heat wrapped them as there resting on the cylinder head.

I did mean to take more pics, but the doing bits and that then leads to having to adjust something else, then it leads to adjusting something else and in the end its all together.

40. JJZ

JJZ

in the photo the turbo looks [emoji102]huge ian no wonder you have to tinker about to get it to fit under the bulk head but it’s all coming together tho. laughing laughing.... [emoji1303][emoji12]

ianplymouth likes this.