Sponsored By:  

Bye Bye circuit virginity

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Tony Fonda, May 23, 2021.

1. Just turned 40 and finally made it to a track. Why not before you might be asking? Well I was always worried that I may like it and get hooked - wanted to make sure I had the right car for the job (RS275), the right state of mind and enough resources for a new hobby.

I finally made it yesterday to Llandow, a mere 35 minute drive from where I live. Getting there is a treat - driving through Cowbridge at 7 in the morning is a real pleasure. Dropped 2 of my children at the in-laws on the way, picked up a coffee and straight to the track. I was the first to arrive just before 8AM and the staff (controllers?) were exceptionally nice. I rented a helmet from them and waited patiently in the pit.
    Next to arrive were 3 guys with Caterham look-alike cars - they came all the way from London and spent the previous night in a tent! Very nice people, we bonded straight away. Those are kit cars and their technical knowhow is off the chart. They could sense my slight anxiety and put me at ease by explaining how the day will go.

They were followed by a bunch of cars - we were 30 in total I think, divided in 3 groups.
    Cars were split in clusters it seemed - the open-top crowd (5 cars including a supercharged Atom)
    The highly tuned track only minis - a handful of them
    4 RS Meganes including mine - one of which is that 71k Trophy-R. First time I see one. Very nice guy who said he only paid £40k for it excluding the carbon wheels.
    A couple of family cars (Audi, Alfa, etc...) with a lot of body roll.
    A couple of vans with all the kit.

To other's amazement, I was the first guy they see on a track with child seats in the rear.

2 sessions of 20 minutes in the morning - just followed a reasonable pace to learn the track. Sports mode on with ESC on. Did a terrible as job as I was driving as if I was on the road. I had befriended earlier a guy who drives a mid-90s tuned Supra. Furious stuff! He explained to me to rev-up , stick to 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear only. That changed everything and I was finally able to keep up.

The track was very easy even for someone like me, excluding one corned just before the final straight:
    llandow-circuit-v2.jpg

I quickly understood that the game was played at Glue-pot and Nook Bend - the rest of the track was not that interesting to me at this stage.

Fast furious supra overheated by midmorning and driver was sitting on the sideline. Offered him to join me as passenger and he game great advice (free tuition 1). He then offered me a ride in his car's passenger seat to show me few things. I felt nauseous afterwards!

Sat in the £71k Trophy-R (purchased for 40k new) and loved the seats . Alpine A110 seats I guessed. And even more a short shifter that the guy had installed. So much so that I wanted one immediately for my car.

Lunch break and free for all driving in the afternoon. Pricey Trophy-R and others went home at this stage not to risk a crash. I doubled up as I gained confidence, disabling the ESP and working those corners. The afternoon was a balancing act of confidence vs skill. I had to make the sure the former does not surpass the latter. I must have managed to do a couple hundred laps in the afternoon though and learned a lot.

One of the caterham's broke down. I offered the highly experience driver a ride as well (free tuition number 2, about 10 laps). Managed to nail Glue-pot by then but was still intimidated by that Nook. I kept trying but that one needs more work.

Was running out of fuel by then (had a full tank in the morning) and was one of the last ones on the track! Nothing broke down, front left tyre killed rear-left tyre in a coma.

Packed up, returned the helmet, thanked everyone and left. As I was driving back home I decided to call back the deposit I had on a Yaris GR (what's the point in paying 35k for that when I won't have the guts to track it) and keep and cherish the megane. Booked another track day on the 19th of June and promised my self to learn heel and toe before then.

Lopes3d, Mr Spoon and Agreen like this.
  2. edit: it's the other way around: Nook bend is the one I've figured out and Glue-pot is the trickiest part of the track. It was covered with wet leaves as well.

Mr Spoon and ianplymouth like this.
  3. Llandow could be spiced up by a few extra left turns. They have the space, but I guess its the investment vs return situation.

Good write up.

4. Hi Tony ,

This is Scott with the Trophy R yesterday. Really nice to meet you and that Polish chap. Made the day as it was my first time on track for nearly 13 years!

Great day and I have two lovely buggered left side tires to show for it . Will have to take the spare in the back next time.

hopefully meet again on our journey into track driving.

Regards

scott

p.s I paid £49000 with the carbons wheels ( not brakes ) for the R but anyone considering getting one and not sure just do it. It’s the most enjoyable car I have ever owned!

Many thanks all

scott

Lopes3d and Tony Fonda like this.
  5. And I thought you were on the official RS forum instead of here - yes , it was great day yesterday and very nice meeting you!
    p.s. I was so jealous of your gearbox that I posted a question here as soon as I got home last night - can you remind me who fitted yours?

https://rsmegane.com/threads/i-want-a-short-shifter-now.21696/#post-217917

Tony

6. It’s the CAE quick shift fitted by RS four ashes in Wolverhampton.

Attached Files:

7. very cool - may I ask how much you paid for the fitting?

8. id have to dig out the receipt but it was something like £1400 fitted

9. That´s Tony!! Glad to read this, great resume. That´s another good thing of track days, sometimes you meet with good people.
    Sleep in a tent the night before? That´s a lux! I slept in a park a couple of times, in summer, of course, and I was younger too:tonguewink::tonguewink:

Tony Fonda and Poppaboost like this.