Upgraded headlight bulbs.

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Christopher carenduff, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Hi all, I have recently purchased a megane 275 trophy and the headlights on them arent great!! I am used to xenon headlights on my other renaultsports!! Has anyone upgraded the headlight bulbs on there 250/265/275 for better headlight bulbs and have many recommendations. Thanks chris.

2. Christopher carenduff likes this.
  3. Thanks @tof73 I have never tried the first ones, o do remember having the extreme vision years ago in my 197 and though they were good. Il def need to get better bulbs as the ones in the car are rubbish!!

Beau likes this.
  4. sometimes if non branded type halfords bulb are in and putting a good brand with a bit more power makes a shed loads of difference

5. Are they easy to change?

When I was younger used to do this this all the time.

But last time I did on clio found there was little space.

Christopher carenduff likes this.
  6. Sam Dolby

Sam Dolby RSM Club Member

Easiest I’ve ever done, and I’ve had lots of different cars to do a bulb change on!
    They even give you the tool to loosen the bolts! It’s used to fix in the headlight after you’ve got the bolts.
    Two bolts, torx inner with a hex head. Use the ‘provided tool’ and lift a little catch on the outer ‘tongue’ and the headlight wiggles out. Detach the wiring loom for the bulbs and then the height adjuster and you have the headlight in your hands! Easy! *famous last words*
    In reply to bulbs, I’ve some ‘auto lighting’ brand in, they were in when I got it, but I’m keen for Osram Laser Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited Plus! I’ve always used Osram and their top range is the best I’ve used!!

7. You've basically got two options. Change them for LED bulbs which give you the brightest and longest lasting type of bulb but are also technically illegal, or go the more powerful halogen bulb route which are legal but don't last as long as standard halgoens.

For upgraded halogens, avoid the likes of the Diamondvision which give a very white colour, as in doing this they sacrifice the range of the beam. Ones like the Xtremevision which are designed to give a longer range are the ones to go for. Also keep an eye on what warranty the bulbs give. There's some very powerful and very expensive Phillips ones that only give 6 months, meaning in reality they will last 5 minutes. I've got GE megalight 150's in mine which seem like a good balance between a more powerful beam and decent longevity.

8. I just wanted to change a bulb? Not remove the headlight.

Maybe stick with plan if not driving at night!

9. I have Osram laser . XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER D2S 66240XNL.jpg
    The color of the light is closer to halogen bulbs. In other words, they do not look modern. The difference is noticeable when driving on a wet road. they are very good there. I didn't find anything better. Road legal .

10. Everyone said on the 197 they were a pain in the arse to change that there was very little space sometimes bumper off job. I have small hands lol and could change them no probs. Not sure about the megane to change, il have a look in the morning.

11. Only aftermarket bulbs I had was Philips xtreme vision fair few year ago!! Thought they were ok. I remember my brother had bulbs in his bmw they were rally bulbs or something along those lines.... how he never got stopped by the police il never know lol. They were wild bright.

12. I will have a look at they bulbs you have @Vulcan3 have you had them in long ?

13. Sam Dolby

Honestly, for the ease of access, it’s a simple job to remove it to gain access.

14. Are these bulbs h7 for the headlights @Filo ? Thanks

15. Sam Dolby

If you’ve got the Xenons, it’ll be the D1S you’ll need for low beam and H7 for high beam

16. Had them in for a year now. Good improvement over oem and i've had no issues so far.

Facelifts are halogens only. It's H7 for both low and high beam.

17. Sam Dolby

I’m going to have to double check mine, I’m sure my Xenons are D1S!

18. Pre-facelifts had Xenon as an option. No idea what the bulb is for those but facelifts never got Xenon as an option, only a set of candles in jam jars

TigerRonin likes this.
  19. NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7 64210NL.jpg D1S or S2S there are both in that stronger version. 200% more light. There is also the H7 Laser series 150% more light. For the h7 also should not be expected to look white or look like xenon. They just give more light . In rain and bad weather they give a much better picture. They do their job very well even during good weather conditions.
    My headlights have a d2s laser xenon as well as an h7 laser for high beam.
    If you're interested, I can take pictures tomorrow night. I have a dash cam in front of the rear view mirror.

20. Hi @Filo yeah if you could take a pic when you get a chance that would be great.

21. Sam Dolby

I take it back! I have H7 fitment too! I’ve just fit some Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited Plus bulbs, replacing the ‘nighteye’ LED’s that were in.

22. D_K

D_K

I have put a Morimoto H7 4500k xenon kit into mine which have made them actually perform like headlights and not candles. The cutoff on the beam is very good and no scatter or major glare from the projector . I have access to a digital headlight beam testing equipment to ensure they were not gonna affect other road users. I have used the Osram nightbreakers in them too and they were only a slight improvement . Compared to my other car an s2000 which has really great Koito xenon units as standard the Meganes are so weak even with the xenon kit , I have thought about purchasing a used pair to open up and investigate why are they so poor , possibly the projector lenses could be replaced with other higher quality clearer halogen units or even a set of xenon units which I would prefer . The EU law does require auto headlamp leveling and washer system for use with xenon headlights which is something to keep in mind..

23. in the last two days we have fog. I hope I catch a good moment.

24. No probs @Filo thank you mate

25. Dont understand why Renault would put rubbish lights in a very decent car!! Especially when the pre facelift had xenon headlights.

D_K likes this.
  26. After 2 years the projector looks like this
    DSC_4066.jpg DSC_4069.jpg DSC_4071.jpg
    The quality is ridiculous. The new oem headlights lasted for 2 years.
    Lights on during the day because I don't have daytime running lights,

27. I think this is interesting. It is a commercial clip but the test is mostly confirmed by others

pay attention to color

28. To fulfill a promise. Driving conditions are bad. Very dark. Rain and no moonlight.

Attached Files:

29. Hi @Filo sorry just seen these pics. They look very decent conaore to my headlights. Def need to invest in better bulbs. Thanks for pics

30. Looking at upgrading the bulbs for my 275. I tried some LEDs off Amazon but sent them back, utterly useless. May try a Xenon conversion kit like I put on my R26, photos on this thread: https://rsmegane.com/threads/hid-kits.1199/

31. I seen a member on the meganesport page on Facebook put these on his megane 275 trophy from amazon. Anyone seen them or any reviews on them ? They are plug and play the guy said. Screenshot_20210122-224411_Facebook.jpg

Relkz likes this.
  32. I’ve ordered some nighteye led bulbs off amazon, I’ve heard mixed reviews though.

33. This is a really good resource if you want to upgrade your bulbs: https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

Most important thing with aftermarket LED headlight bulbs is that the LED chip needs to be in the same exact position as where the filament is in the OE halogen bulb so that the mirrors or projector in the headlamp housing can focus the light. A lot of cheap LED bulbs have the LED chips here there and everywhere, and so the light also goes here there and everywhere.

Somnambulist and James265trophy like this.
  34. I've tried a couple of different LED bulbs including the Nighteye ones and I'm afraid to say, they're rubbish. They look good, but they're dimmer than halogen bulbs and the beam range is now narrow they're frankly dangerous and not fit for purpose.

This Autobulbsdirect blog is worth a read – they sell LED bulbs but they still say they're not that good: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlight-bulbs-the-brightest/

I think the only decent solutions are either top range halogen bulbs, but expect that you'll have to replace them every 6-12 months (the really bright ones tend to have very short warranties due to that) or a Xenon HID conversion. I'm intending to buy this when they're eventually back in stock, which could be a long time away given the current issues with getting goods to the UK from China: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-hids4u-stealth-35w-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

As I linked above, here's the Xenon kit I fitted on my R26 on this thread: https://rsmegane.com/threads/hid-kits.1199/

Photos don't do it justice, it was a huge improvement and dead easy to fit. I've already taken the headlights out of my 275 again to check there's space for fitting the ballasts so will report back when I can eventually get my hands on a kit.

Beau likes this.
  35. My nighteye bulbs arrived today and they wouldn't even turn on! Going straight back. Need to find something else now.

36. I fitted some "top of the range" Novsight 100w (50w each) LED's a few months ago and I have to agree their performance is inferior to the Osram Night Breakers that I was using previously. There is plenty of light output, but it is concentrated close to the car rather than where it is needed and I'm sure they are a hotter (bluer) colour temperature than specified as contrast is poor meaning what light output they do have is hard to perceive.

I have bit the bullet and purchased some Philips Ultinon pro9000 H7. They are mentioned in a recent Auto Express group test, although not eligible for the test on legality grounds they say they would have won it easily. I'll report back when I get the opportunity to fit them when my car isn't covered in 6in of snow!

37. This is a pic of the car that the member put up of his car with the novsight bulbs fitted not seen the light pattern on the road. Screenshot_20210124-160411_Gallery.jpg

38. I fitted the novsight headlight bulbs to my car and agree they are alot better than the previous bulbs that were fitted. I haven't driven the car for yet to test them on the road but from what I can see they do seem better. Screenshot_20210203-212050_Gallery.jpg

39. I’ve also put some led bulbs in, not tried them yet though. 960E83D8-E9C6-4543-BD1B-52826F38CBBB.jpeg