The hybrid turbo itch...

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Eddie_, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Ever since owning my first 265 a few years back I have always wanted to squeeze some extra power out with a hybrid turbo and associated upgrades.

Firstly, for those who have gone down this route, has it been worth it? My car is not my daily, but it will be subjected to some ‘spirited’ driving, so I’m not really worried about the cons of driving the car from day to day but would like to know if the car will remain reliable with the hybrid fitted.

Secondly, which parts are best to install? I have pretty much decided that the RS Tuning 20T Hybrid would be the best option to fit as I would also have Paul map the car also.
    Which FMIC is best? Airtec, Pro Alloy, Wagner or another?
    Which intake is best? ITG, KTec or another?

2. What is best is subjective but I run; an Engine Dynamics level 2 hybrid, 630cc injectors, ITG intake, Wagner I/C, CGR exhaust. Used mostly as a “weekend” track car for over a year with this set up and it’s been faultless. However, I got a safe tune and meticulous maintenance regime.

Since then I’ve had it retuned to suit the latest mod; a water/meth injection system.

Eddie_ likes this.
  3. Wagner cooler seems to be the best as it doesn’t block the rad.seems to keep temps good even with hard track abuse to

Eddie_ likes this.
  4. I had plans for the ITG intake and Wagner FMIC so that set up would be similar to the one I would like. Out of interest why did you opt for the Engine Dynamics turbo? Hadn’t even though of checking theirs out as an option!

From viewing your thread the car is certainly used as it’s intended so good to hear about the reliability aspect. What kind of figures where you running prior to water/meth injection?

Thanks for your input!

5. Was recommended it by a local tuner and price.

200kW and 350Nm at the wheels.

6. Do you still have the hybrid turbo'd Megane? Has it held the test of time? I'm itching to go for a hybrid and go or 350hp/350ftlb , isn't too unreasonable at around £1600 all in.

7. £1600 all in!? Where from!? I’ve looked recently and already got cooler, intake, exhaust etc (supporting mods) and with those mods already it’s another £3k on top to supply and fit a hybrid, 630 injectors, sports/decat and mapping.....so think £1600 is a bit off the money needed!

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Hybrid, Injectors and a map isn't far off 1600 to be fair. Certainly not 3k anyway

9. I forgot to premise I had the same mods + a decat. So only needed a hybrid turbo (seen rebuilds for £800), injectors £170 labour for installing the turbo and a map.

10. I need to find out where you guys are getting stuff done then! cos the quotes I’ve had are £1750 (inc vat and fitting for turbo) £240 injectors, £700 sports cat, £240 map tweaks! Plus tracking etc after subframes been out and back in (all new units and not recon mind) so touching £3k

11. Doh forget the above the big cost is the bloody sports cat, even with new units for the rest

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Subframe out? Why?

You can have your stock turbo built into a hybrid for well under a grand, add injectors and a map and your not at a huge outlay really.

Just run a decat although surprised you don't already have one, generally one of thr first mods to do

13. No friendly MOTs round here, and mines a daily so need the car so can’t do downtime for turbo rebuild

14. I sure do! My project thread with recent updates is here: https://rsmegane.com/threads/275-r.14257/page-8

Since the post you quoted, the ED LII turbo blew up (I was lucky not to get any engine damage but it did damage the CAT):

After that I got a TTE hybrid and a new engine pipe with CAT. With the new set-up I've done a shakedown track day, six 20 minute sessions at Bathurst, a 6-hour regularity relay and an RS track day. All still on the original engine. I am planning to forge the engine along with a Garrett turbo kit but I need to wait for the engine to let go first.

Jimmy Lam likes this.