R26 Suspension refresh

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by eddie ninja, Oct 17, 2019.

1. I’ve asked this on FB with no joy.
    Has anyone refreshed the suspension on their R26 with the oem suspension and if so did they feel any difference?

Just to clarify I’m not asking about a suspension upgrade or lowering and super-duper coil overs - just replacing with standard.

Cheers

2. i have...oem full refresh is the way to go if its a road car.
    And that means,a full refresh,including all bushes,and drop links.

Everything is tired now on these cars..doing all the above will certainly bring back the razor sharp nature of the car.

struts are cheap now....springs certainly are not at nearly 400 notes!!!!!!!!!

eddie ninja likes this.
  3. Nice one. It does do a few trackdays (about 3 a year) and it seems decent enough on track.

4. trouble is,it really does need everything...i had added all to mine bit by bit..and each time it has brought back a bit more sparkle to the chassis.Fkn annoying..and expensive!

eddie ninja likes this.
  5. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

I love a good refresh of the old suspenders!

Title amended :wink:

6. Im about to do this beginning of next month on my R26.
    Drop links
    Swivel links
    Inner and outer track rod ends
    Swivel bearings in hubs
    Steering rack bush.

Question is anything else to consider. Not too clued up on the bushes, assuming with all the above new parts is there additional bushes i need to replace on old parts that im keeping such as the lower arms?

7. i wanted it to read “suspenders”! Thought it would get more response ;-)

8. Tell. Me. About. It. Alex White from AWMotorworks is buying a new car partly thanks to me. ;-)

9. I’ve pretty much had all the above done except the steering rack bush I believe. I do a little bit every few months - can’t afford to do it all I’m one go. I can feel the difference so I think it’s worth it.

Si271 likes this.
  10. Same here, replaced all of it, including a new steering rack, definitely worth it, makes all the difference! But...... Think I've ruined it all now by fitting coilovers with 8kg front/7kg rear springs, far too stiff and uncomfortable for our crap roads[emoji20]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Conoboy and eddie ninja like this.
  11. yep...lower arms bushes,front anti roll bar bushes,i also did the subframe bushes,rear beam bushes will defiantly be on the way out by now,and rear anti roll bar bush.

Si271 likes this.
  12. yeah..this is why i have steered away from coilovers.
    You dont realize how good a compromise the oem set up is until you try something else.
    Made the same mistake with cooksports.Good on a smooth road...borderline dangerous at speed over our typical crap surface B roads.You just cant remove 30mm of travel,and get away with it on the road.

eddie ninja and Si271 like this.
  13. no point in having a car like a R26 that wont handle.You dont have them for anything else.
    just such a shame everything seems to wear out at the same time.

eddie ninja and Si271 like this.
  14. yep that’s why I want to stay standard. Fillings cost money! ;-)

Si271 likes this.
  15. So ive ordered all the bits. With regards to this poxy swivel hub, iv got new lower bearings coming, is there any other parts that are likely to melt in my hand or disintegrate as i take it all apart. Ive read somewhere about new seals but not sure where to get them or the spec of them. Ive gone for new bushed in the ARB and also fitting a sportscat. I am dreading doing it all!

16. You definitely need to change the seals too.
    I’ll dig the seal sizes out for you tomorrow.

Here’s a link to my thread from when I did mine. I ran in to some problems that may be useful to you.

Changed my swivel bearings today.......not!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to........not!.16576/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Also, here’s a link to a good guide that I used - credit to Brigsy (who has some nice cars too btw)

https://turborenault.co.uk/threads/...25-r26-front-hub-lower-swivel-bearings.38970/

I hope this helps! [emoji1303]

17. Bearing and seal part numbers I used.

4420ed4d9dd1a66d5d18b186629c3613.jpg

Reaper7 likes this.
  18. congrats in taking on 3 nightmares!

swivel hubs,not really something to take on if a novice..
    you will need access to a press to,to push in the new roller bearing.
    What most people overlook,is the turret inside the roller bearing.
    if the bearing has run dry..the turret is just grinding metal.If the turrets not smooth..it will massively shorten the life of the roller bearing.
    Diamond motors used to sell the bearing,and turrets in a package deal.

ARB means dropping the subframe..and while its off..you really should be pressing in new subframe bushes....silly not to if its off.

And good luck with getting the cat unbolted!

19. Thanks for all the replies gents, some much needed info there.

Ive gone for new subframe bushes, balljoints and also contacted diamond motors to see if i can get the turret aswell as the bearing. Figured if the car is coming apart that much im going to try and do as much as i can.

Have 2 vehicle mechanics and full workshop if i need it (which i will) so will do as much as i can but have the backup if needed.

20. One more question i will ask is that i see there is split opinions on getting powerflex bushes. A lad at work is heavily into his motorsport and he has told me to consider not using them. Would people recommend the lemforder control arm bushes from mister auto as a safer bet, significantly cheaper aswell.

21. Be interesting to see what condition the subframe bushes are in when you remove them.

I currently have my subframe off and the bushes look okay so haven't bothered replacing them.

22. I wouldn’t put poly bushes in.many say they don’t last,and make the suspension harsher.i think the bushes are available from Renault,but listed for a different car.
    I used mr auto for the droplinks.they are the oem manufacturer(trw).
    Everything else from RPD

Oh and subframe bushes from ebay.

23. Mine were totally fine when I replaced them.

24. https://rsmegane.com/threads/mk2-lower-hub-inserts.19436/

here we go..turrets right here..

25. these turrets have been modified to allow the use of grease bolts more effectively.
    the general consensus is,the roller bearing runs dry with its inadequate seal to the elements.
    The grease nipple,allows the lubrication to the roller bearing to be topped up.
    The roller bearing itself is really quite fragile.

My own car was only on 45k,but the roller bearings were totally seized.