Sponsored By:  

My first track day is tomorrow

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Tony Fonda, May 21, 2021.

1. Never been on a track before - and starting with baby steps tomorrow at Llandow.

Anything I should be mindful of? Any advice for a track newbie?

keestar1994 likes this.
  2. Make sure you get out into the queue for the sighting laps as soon as you can, the person leading will take the racing line, it will be a slow couple of laps just to familiarize yourself with the circuit.

I think tuition is still a no go at the moment, but if you can then get that booked around 11.00- 11.30, that will give you time to familiarize the circuit.

Keep looking in the mirrors and don't let yourself be pushed into going faster, take your time, don't go balls out straight away.

Do 15 to 20 minutes max, decide on the time your going to come in and do a slower (cool down) lap, try to do without too much boost or brakes.

Do your first session then check your tyre pressures and wheel nuts and give your car a quick look over to see if anything is about to drop off or anything that's leaking, worth checking again throughout the day.

and lastly enjoy the day :laughing::laughing:

Tony Fonda and manugtt like this.
  3. Lets start with enjoy yourself. Take food, water and spare clothes. You are in a car so you can carry a lot of kit.

Prep for today -
    Check all fluids
    Check all brakes
    Check all tyres
    Bodywork - needs to be secure

Take the car out somewhere and drive around a few roundabouts. See if you can hear any rattles/noises etc.

A few things to watch out for - (ignore my condescending tone, its just easier to be blunt)

Tyre pressures. You will not believe how quickly the fronts will overheat and pressures increase. My CTR at Pembrey reached 50psi! I was new and left the pressures as per manufacturers recommendation. You need to take at least 5 psi possibly 10 out and build the pressure up, but as a newbie, go out with recommended, come in after a few laps and check them and adjust.

People trying to race you - do not get sucked in. This is when accidents happen. Particularly in big braking zones. Inexperienced drivers who are trying to prove something can brake right up your backside, if and when you spot this, as soon as you can let them pass. You do not want them crashing into the back of you. Be prepared for those in "faster cars" to be pissed off when you pass them and they carry out some stupid manoeuvre. The first time you pass a car with 400hp and they don't know its because they are driving like a big fanny they will usually try and prove they are faster.

Mirrors - these are there to give you info, but in the bike world we take them off. Focus on going forwards and not what is behind you (a bit opposite to the above)

Spinning - if you have a spin, come back to the pits and check your car out. You will be amazed at what things can break and it could be something that has broken thats caused you to spin.

Fuel - you will use a lot. I averaged 9mpg in the CTR, 4mpg in the tiger, thats right 4!!!

Engine temps - watch these, as track time builds so will the temps, everything will run hotter. Nothing to worry about, but watch out for it rapidly increasing, and if so stop.

Handbrake - forget this exists in the pits. Worse thing you can do is head back in and park up with the handbrake. It will seize.

Always check for oil and coolant leaks before going out. Get on your belt buckle and have a look underneath. Any leak - do to go out, regardless of the cost of the track day, you will endanger yours and someone else life.

Crashes - if you have one, you won't be insured. If some dude comes up to you trying to get you to cough up, don't. If you do not have track day insurance do not worry, your loss is your car. That said, if you cause an accident that kills someone (extreme) laws will still apply. EG you drive into someone turning right at 100+mph.

Danger- track days are dangerous. They are made more dangerous by idiots trying to prove their cars quicker than that GTR or EVO. ETC.

Lap times - it is advisable to not time yourself. I crashed at Donington on the bike pushing times. It was a stark lesson, I suspect you won't listen as no one does, but if you can avoid filming and timing you will be safer. (post the lap time if you do though)

Braking - you need to be carrying out an emergency stop at each braking zone in order to gain lap time (gain see above.) This will unsettle the car and you will not be used to it. Trust in the cars ability to slow you. But build it up slowly. If you do not know how to heel/toe you might want to watch youtube and learn, fast! It will save you from spinning in harsh braking zones. Most people will lift off the gas far too early and coast before they brake. You will not believe how much faster you travel by focusing on this area.

Corner speed - Everyone talks about keeping corner speed, but quite frankly, if you get your braking right it will be up anyway. Try not to worry about being fast through the corners initially. Focus on entry and exit, (braking and accelerating) and the mid corner work will come. No one should be passing you through corners, or in braking zones. I say should...

Loose stuff - change, cd's, food, tools - take this all out. They become missiles if you roll the car and a pain for the marshalls to pick up.

Rage - if someone does something remember, you pay your money, you take your risk. If they write you car off and this bothers you, then you shouldn't be on the track with it. It is a real possibility this can happen. I am not trying to put you off, but you need to be aware, things happen in motorsport and the difference with track days is the cars are often tuned to a budget. Just take a look at all the youtube videos of these situations.

Road driving - when you come back onto the cowbridge road, remember it will feel really slow. Police are known to hang about after and before these type of events, be careful

4. Oh wow, thank you both for those exhaustive replies - so many questions....

Tyre pressure: I rely on the onboard computer/sensors to provide a reading. Is this good enough or will I need to borrow a pressure gage tomorrow (no time left to buy one).

Fluids: All replaced 6 months ago or so but I did not specify motor sport grade stuff - so probably cheap liquids were used.

Brakes: how to check them?

Clothing: they say long sleeves required - would a cotton shirt do?

Helmet: I don't have one yet but can rent one from the track they say - how to chose a fitting?

stupidity: what is the safest way to let someone pass on a track? do they always overtaking from the left? will I need to indicate?

driving: I do not know how to heel and toe yet, but am interest - shall I take tuition to learn that?

Other questions:
    Which mode shall I be in: Sport mode or ESC off?
    Am I better off killing the airbag before going on the track or shall I leave them as is?

I am in the beginner group tomorrow - what does that mean and will it help with rage, risk, etc...?

5. one last one, I have already booked another track day at Llandow in June and am hopping to be going there at least once a month for the rest of the year - Idea is to get ready for a more challenging track (Castle Comb) next spring.

Would anyone know of any shops in Cardiff that sell FIA certified helmets?
    Would you recommend investing in those removable isofix 4 point seat belts to use on the track? I use the megane as a daily driver for school runs, etc...

6. Get yourself a proper tyre gauge, one that goes up to around 40-60 psi, will be more accurate (i got a go cart one 40psi) as for tyre pressures keep them at road/normal pressures, i know i'm going to get someone having a go but i ran 38 front and 32 rear hot.

Oil, I run normal engine oil 15/40 fully synthetic oil and i have done a few trackdays without any problems, but a i change it after every 3 trackdays.

Brakes, make sure there is at least 50% left, they will disappear at a greater rate than you think.
    i always carry spare fronts and rears, 2 sets most of the time :laughing::laughing:

Clothing, cotton is good, you will be surprised by how hot you get.

Helmets, i think there letting them out to hire again now, you will be able to try them on, make sure the one you choose is snug, too loose and it will move around and distract you, too tight and it will give you a head ache.

Stupidity, well where to start :laughing::laughing::laughing:, you will get a lot of people that think there F1 drivers but without the skills, they will soon make themselves known.
    In your safety brief they will tell you what side you will have to pass someone, most of the time its pass on the right, Combe is different and thats pass on the left, some are pass either side.:openmouth:

Driving, heel and toe don't bother, you don't need that with front wheel drive, it's for BMW's and when they forget they will be the ones in the barrier :rage:

Normal or sport mode would be your best option once you have done a few trackdays then try with the ESP off, if you leave it on it will help if you get into trouble, your learning so you need all the help in the beginning.
    From what i can assume that if your in a beginner group then everyone has done three trackdays or less, so there shouldn't be any track prepped cars doing silly speeds.

Tony Fonda likes this.
  7. There isn't much difference between Llandow and Combe (or any other circuit) except its a lot faster at Combe, so braking needs to be earlier, corners may be faster, never done Llandow but i believe its a small slow ish circuit.
    All circuits have there points where 50%+ go off, Combe is Avon rise into the next barrier (sorry corner) most organisers will tell you this area in the briefing.

You don't need an FIA crash helmet, a ACU gold sticker one is good enough and is all that's required, i have never had my crash helmet sticker checked, chin straps yes. (Combe mostly)

Standard seat belts are okay, i have done trackdays with them, not ideal but okay, not had any experience with the isofix ones, i have full 6 point harnesses but mine is not used as a daily.

Tony Fonda likes this.
  8. I disagree with the heel toe comment. You will need to do this to prevent locking the wheels. If you don't, you are not driving fast enough

Heel toe creates a smoother ride, allows the engineered to match that of the transmission, I would urge you to make sure you learn.

Tony Fonda likes this.
  9. Just a note on the ESC mode. For a beginner it of course normally makes perfect sense to leave it on (Sport mode, normal is too intrusive imo), but the ESC works by dragging the brakes to keep the car in check which on track very often results in the rear pads getting completely eaten up. I've seen quite a few post on the facebook groups where people have left it on and by the end of the day they're down to bare metal.

Race mode turns it completely off, so your rear brake pads are safe!

Tony Fonda likes this.
  10. Hi Tony! I´m not an expert but have enough track days under my ass, so my advice is: ENJOY. Don´t worry about to be fast, about driving technics(heel toe, brake with left foot, etc...), you don´t have to prove anything. Time give you the experience and you´ll learn many things along track days. There are many people who think they are James Hunt(love this guy), and need to show it. Go away from them!
    Just trying to say you, to run, first we have to walk.

ianplymouth and Tony Fonda like this.
  11. Crunching numbers on the back of a napkin £100 for the track tomorrow, another £100 for fuel and food, say a £100 for wear and tear and another £100 in capital depriciation = £400 + tuition, not sure how much that is.

Castle comb: £200 for the track and another £150 for a hotel room the night before.

£400 a pop + tuition nearby and £650 further away + risk of damage/crash (unquantifiable for now).

Say I were to do that once a month....not a cheap hobby at all :smile:

12. agreed 100% - would love to learn how to rev match, heel/toe and other small things that I could start using on the daily round trip to school, to make that more enjoyable.
    Perhaps is not the right place to learn techniques of this kind on the other hand, I may be better off in a vast empty parking lot.

13. :grin::grin::grin: I´d educate my left foot traffic light by traffic light!:tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:
    About track day cost...better don´t think! With my actual economy, only can do one every 3 months. Well, the lockdown makes me a bit more rich!
    150GBP for a room?? In the Palace??:grinning::grinning::grinning:Just joking man.

14. +1 for esp / traction control off. Rear brakes will be completely ruined otherwise.

15. No worst thing you can do is to try and add it up, try some man maths works for me every time :laughing::laughing:

£150 for a hotel you taking the piss :openmouth::openmouth:, i stayed at Premier for £30, drove down the road about 2 miles for fish and chips, shop next door for some cider, then back to the room.

Tuition with a good few companies now is free, think i paid £40 for two 30 minute sessions a few years back, its the cheapest way to go faster on track.

It also depends on what insurance company you are with, some will do you trackday insurance for £30-40

I sort of worked out a double trip the the ring, that was looking to be quite a lot of money, so i stopped adding it up and just booked it :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    Did 2 days at Spa and went through £400 in fuel alone :fearscream::fearscream::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Like you say, its a hobby, try boating or Golf :rage::rage:

Let me know when you are thinking of doing Combe, (its my closest track 144 miles away) i will book it as well, already been twice this year

Beau and manugtt like this.
  16. I think regardless of what type of motorsport, the costs add up very quickly. A general rule of thumb, if you can't afford to lose it it then you can't afford to race/track it.

Beau likes this.
  17. Still alive and well.

Tyres....not so much.

18. any footage? Was it fun

19. Good that you made it home in one piece
    What tyres were you running, did you reduce the pressures through the morning ???

So what are your thoughts on a day on a track

20. Maybe don´t believe me, but I had been thinking on you this morning! Glad to heard you pass the baptism without troubles.
    Tell us!

21. Thank you :smile: will post a length one tomorrow I promise.

Beau likes this.