275 lower pivot joints.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by David higgs, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Hi Guys,
    please can anyone help me out. i am replacing the ball joints and pivots joints on the front of my RS 275 Trophy.
    i have bought the joints on e bay and everything looks good but the lower pivot joints are incredibly stiff. also they do appear to have movement side to side. i was under the impression that the lower pivot joint should have no lateral movement , only rotational movement. is this correct.
    the ones i am taking off appear to be the originals ‍♂️ and the car has 57k miles, they also have slight lateral movement .
    can someone please confirm whether this is correct or not.
    cheers
    David

2. this is the link to the items i bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17328426...nhnb5bnsik&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

3. really? so even the top ball joint is supposed to have no sideways movement??
    why is it a ball joint then??

the bottom only has very limited sideways movement, is this just to enable fitting??

do the OE joints have any sideways movement??

4. apologies - I had a look at one of my old disassembled perfohub's and there is sideways movement on the pivot ball joints; these are the original ball joints.

David higgs likes this.

5. ah ok, i suspected this. the joints i have are made in france on the packaging and have all fitted on perfectly.
    i have yet to drive the car , but i am hoping it will cure the very mild steering issue i had. it was reluctant to self-centre, ie if you put a little input into the wheel and let go, it would be reluctant to return to a straight ahead position.
    we shall see.
    incidentally, once you have tackled it yourself and have the right tools it was not as daunting a job as it sounded.
    cheers
    David