Yellow RS250 cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by -Jamie-, Jul 23, 2013.

1. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nothing really, consumables and finish the cage at somepoint.

And maybe some frp panels and poly windows.

And a bigger turbo

[emoji23]

2. new wheels look tasty mate

3. You need speed holes.

-Jamie- likes this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

[emoji23][emoji23] Have a couple plans for some aero stuff eventually and venting the engine bay

5. i have met jamie :smile: i can confirm he is a ginger sheep shagger :tonguewink:

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Engine shit itself last night, motorway cruising at 70 off boost and not under any real load, before people jump on the blame the mapping bandwagon.

It'll get fixed, just don't know when or how, needless to say I doubt I'll make my ring trackday in May, if any this year 619b3b077bb28fdf2604f80a08d26852.jpg

7. Ahh that is a right fcker, there are a few engines on ebay at the moment, sure you can get it sorted for DN21 if you pull your finger out :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Did it put a rod through the block ????

8. Gutted for you.

9. That's a shame, sorry to hear it failed. Wonder what the cause was.

10. That’s shit mate. Hope you get it sorted soon. Just another opportunity to upgrade.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not had it on the ramp but Internals definitely came out, cars gonna be parked up and left for most of the year while I save up to forge and potentially go big turbo. Just a shame it means no TDs this year as the cars feeling pretty spot on now as well

12. How many miles has yours done now, i'm getting a bit worried as mine has 108k +

perhaps a group buy on rods and pistons, if it makes it any cheaper i'll have a set for later

13. I have an R26 block for the cost of post if it helps you out mate.

14. i know of several stage 2`s on mk2`s,that blew when cruising.
    you would think when the maxtorque comes in ,would be the final straw.
    But not always the case..strange.

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

140k on this engine so a good innings haha, Got a spare block an crank from my old engine that the guy that bought it is gonna send back to me.

Thinking Forged Rods/Pistons and uprated valve springs, Plus turbo kit. Still keeping it sensible in terms of cost but should have an engine and setup thats strong and will last

16. I know it gets used hard, so will be worth it, would have been better at the end of the year though, thinking of doing the same with mine now, pistons, rods and for sure uprated valve springs, not going a hybrid, going to go purpose built this time around.

17. Real bummer when this happens, especially when your just cruising along. On the plus side at least it didn't happen going around the ring.

The amount of use you get out the car warrants the spend. With a bigger turbo it will be over 400hp and will fly.

18. sorry mate :worried::worried: ... can happen to anyone. Hope you fix it fast, but it makes me wonder...is this a sign that going bigger than stock turbo might bring problems in the future... .i mean, if we assume that stock turbo with some stage 2 bolt ons, gives you circa 330 hp, does it make sense to go bigger turbo for like getting 360-370... the 30-40hp difference could be the reason, why parts are getting too much pressure and stress from the torque/power...

19. Unfortunately thats the joy of owning tuned hatches especially when they hitting tracks like jamie. Personally i would of spent money on engine internals before new wheels etc. Just shit luck i suppose especially as it was looking sweet on them new wheels aswell

Mish View likes this.
  20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Meh, There's multiple cars running more torque and others on the continent running 400+ on stock internals as well. Luck of the draw really, torques what kills rods and mine was limited to prolong the life. Bear in mind my engine has done 140k.

Not sure what actually failed yet anyway

21. you still not stripped it yet :astonished:

22. 140k miles is quite a number, for a high power megane anyway, considering you have circa 100hp extra on top of stock right ?

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Told you it was gonna be a slow build [emoji1787] it being stored at the back of my mates garage who does all the work on it.

Got a rough spec of the build now:

Pec rods and Wossner pistons
    Supertech Valves
    Uprated springs
    Possibly some 182 cams but I'm led to beleive the 250 ones can do ~500hp
    King bearings plus the usual other rebuild stuff, oil pump etc.

Nortech Mani, Downpipe and lines
    G25 550 0.72AR
    Turbosmart Comp 40 gate
    Plex PBC Pro boost controller
    Radium swirl pot fed by the Oem tank, supplying the rail and 875cc injectors, again good for ~500hp

Clutch im undecided, OE is good for the sort of torque I'll be making, 360/370lbsft and saves me some cash for now, may look an one of the Xtreme uprated kits down the line.

HASLE likes this.
  24. Going recirculating fuel line or just one way supply

25. So you still don't know what went wrong yet then, at that engine speed i wonder if the oil pump chain snapped.

Specs looking good, one thing i'm sure you won't get king bearings, i couldn't for mine.
    also springs are more important than the valves, as its forced induction valves are not required, that will save you a packet.

26. Christ Jamie, how much is this going to cost you. Around 4K

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Returnless system to keep costs down and keeping it simple,

Ian, doing valves while it's apart to future proof it, costs arn't too bad as my mate gets a good discount at ED.

Danny, turbo kit alone is about that, not a cheap thing to do by any means

28. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Shame about this, with the speed you were doing it, sounds the same as my old 225 which ended up being the oil pump failing
    Hope you get it up and running soon!

29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just cruising at 70,no warning or anything it was going to let go

30. Charlie Howard

Yep sounds exactly like my 225, let us know when you find out what it was but I bet nothing to do with the power it was running

31. Thats one nice but very expensive shopping list. Have u not just considered calling it a day with a meg and look at summit else. U must be looking anywhere between 7-10k for that. Id personally looking at a golf r or 140i. Few little mods to them and your already over the 400bhp mark. Is yours oem diff aswell?

32. Charlie Howard

Both of them are leagues worse in the handling department compared to a stock Meg let alone Jamies

33. But is a fwd car pushing 500bhp not pointless

34. Charlie Howard

Might be getting close to the limit but I'm pretty sure Jamie said 400-450, if you're going any higher I definitely wouldn't want a Golf or 1er, especially the 1er, pushing that either I'd want something like an E92 M3 or Lotus anyway.

35. Charlie Howard

I've driven the 1er and honestly it's one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven

36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd rather walk than have a Golf R, Mlite needs considerable chassis work to be anywhere near as competent.

High powered FWD can be veyy drivable provided its tuned and setup right, both of which it will be/is.

The only thing that would get me out it would be a track spec'd E92/M2 Comp or F80 M3.

All of which have substantially higher running and modifying costs

37. Charlie Howard

Never driven the Golf but my friend has one, can never pull away on the straights and can't get close in the corners, it's worth noting it's basically a FWD car with some help at the back, not a real AWD.
    Exactly anything else you have to spend even more money on to get close, or make the step up at which point you're near supercar level with M3's and stuff

38. Over taken a lot of focus R's and Golf R's on track with my standard power 265, on the straights its a problem, but the braking and cornering the Renault wins everytime :sunglasses::sunglasses:

I'm sure the mk3 will be okay with 450hp :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

-Jamie- likes this.
  39. Charlie Howard

What power is yours? Mine is even with my friends Golf R. Obviously a map would help the Golf but that won't fix the cornering issues

40. mine is a standard 265 :sunglasses: