Yellow Megane RS 250 Cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Mr Spoon, May 20, 2021.

1. Sorry to hear that. Was told that's pretty common on these unfortunately, so I'm very tempted to just have the fronts done along with the clutch line and not touch the rears. Have also seen on facebook that the fronts make the biggest difference by far and strictly speaking the rears aren't needed, so you're more than likely all good to be fair.

2. I'll be in no rush to get it done any time soon as long as braking performance is ok and no fluid leaks.

I've owned a Porsche, this is small fry in comparison

3. I had an issue with one of my rear brake lines. Drivers side, was tight as when tightened up or trying to Loosen off, got a new for piece of mind, I quite regularly fiddle with the brakes so was a no brainer.

4. Went to Santa Pod today. Had a remap at the circuit. Seems to go well. Was fairly cheap, might be a buy cheap buy 100 times but I'm pleased with the result.

No idea what time I achieved as you can't see the time boards when you are driving.

Was fun, but the Megane isnt a drag car as we all know

5. Wow, so my above comment has bitten me on the backside.

Ok lesson number 1 - DO NOT BUY CHEAP. We all know it, but so many do it.
    Lesson number 2 - Stupid tax for this is £180. Numpty.
    Lesson number 3 - use a company you are familiar with and or come with recommendations. So in this instance, everyone rave about RS tuning, they are clearly great, but im not travelling that far north, so I'll be using Performance Remap again from Gloucester.

The car is going to Chris tonight at 5pm. Its a custom map on a RR, so I'll have some dyno information.

Recap of the project modifications so far:

Engine mount
    Clutch damper removal
    Cooksport springs
    New cup shocks
    Anti roll bars and bushes front and rear
    Panel filter
    Forge dump valve with removal of noise generator. (yellow spring)
    Braided brake lines on the front. Rears to follow.
    Crappy remap at Santa Pod

Still to come
    Scorpion exhaust to be fitted by Forge Motorsport when it arrives.

Lopes3d likes this.
  6. I’ll always travel for the map, defo not something you want any old place messing about with. Hopefully you have better results at this new place!

Mr Spoon likes this.
  7. I guess we will find out in a couple of hours :smile:

Lopes3d likes this.
  8. Not everyone raves about RS

Poppaboost likes this.
  9. Ok so back from Chris' place.

We didn't map the car, the car went on the dyne, 275hp, so as they told me they would, they dialled back the power.

Theres an o2 sensor fault, albeit not causing an issue, ill get that replaced, then Chris will book me in to take the map off and put a new one on.

10. Ok so thats the o2 sensor ordered. Thread created for a bit of guidance.

11. Following the visit to Cooksport, here are the changes:

Lowering springs and replacement cup shocks

7bdvrBT.jpg

Front anti roll bar:
    D9AfUVJ.jpg

Engine mount
    3uHSUR9.jpg

Rear anti roll bar
    fZEKe4v.jpg

Geometry setup:
    BN8KrNQ.jpg

12. So I took the car to Performance Remap last night. We couldn't map the car, but Chris did four runs. Graph is here:
    OgTbN2b.jpg
    M4eq2mw.jpg

13. O2 sensor despatched. With a bit of luck this will solve the O2 sensor earth fault.

Exhaust still to come as well as rear braided brake lines. Fronts are done, rears we need standby calipers incase the bleed nipples can't be opened.

14. So new O2 sensor fitted. Minus one adjustable spanner...
    Clutch damper delete done previously.
    New remap to replace crappy one.
    Feels like a different car!

Lopes3d likes this.
  15. Looking really good. When you did the suspension did you do the top mounts as well? What do you think of the Cooksport springs? And where did you buy the suspension from?

Hopefully not too many questions. :smile:

16. No I didn't fit any top mounts. Standard mounts, supplied and fitted by cooksport.

I can't comment on the springs as there were a number of parts replaced at once. The car overall feels better. I'll need to push it around somewhere in order to make an adequate judgement as to whether its better. :smile:

Zaim likes this.
  17. Good news! Scorpion exhaust has arrived with Forge motorsport. To be fitted once i'm over covid!

D7DPJ likes this.
  18. So forge will have the car next Thursday and I'll get it back next Friday. Exhaust here we come
    Splitter being sorted mid September

Poppaboost and D7DPJ like this.
  19. Dropped the car off at Forge motorsport today. I'll take a video or two when I can. Excited to hear what it sounds like.

D7DPJ likes this.
  20. So thats the car collected from Forge.
    Exhaust sounds amazing, albeit, not gone over 4k yet as ive just driven it back to work.

Brake lines on the rear sorted too. So thats braided hoses all round :smile:

danmc_82 likes this.
  21. Jealous, im far to scared to touch the rear hoses. They dont look like they will come off well at all, ive got the rear braided hoses sat in a box... think they might stay this way :smile:

22. Mr Spoon likes this.
  23. You will need to be prepared to replace the rear calipers and part of the brake line.... Then you can give it a good go, use heat and if it breaks it's not an issue
    Possible placebo but definitely more feel

24. So, the exhaust. Well I was hoping for a bit more lift off overrun popping and disappointedly there isnt.
    The sound however is very appropriate. It's loud enough to be clear it's aftermarket, but not so loud it's going to raise eyebrows.
    It might improve with heat and I possibly have a centre box on the system although it's a non resonated system so I'd have expected different.

25. Can you not chop the centre box out and straight pipe it.

26. I need to get under and check if there is a centre box. Yes, ill go to a S/S manufacturer and have this done and flanged if needs be

D7DPJ likes this.
  27. So no centre box underneath. So no chopping out and making louder....

28. Excellent news. Finally got the splitter replaced. (10min job on the ramp supposedly) 1.5 hours and 3 Renault technicians later.....

e7gIFpb.jpg
    oYKXuc4.jpg

Just a waste of £135... As the old one did the job with the cable ties too.

D7DPJ likes this.
  29. I know what you mean Sr.!! Even removing the bumper is a pain in the ass. I had to do when decided to paint in black, like factory, the upper lip.
    Well, now you have it fitted and looking good.:wink:

Mr Spoon likes this.
  30. So this is where getting old sinks in.... modifications added to insurance....£15 extra. As a kid that would have been £1500.

D7DPJ likes this.
  31. After the car chewing the front pads... Brembo pads too.... I've put some blue print ones on whilst I decide what track pads to use. Oddly enough, the feel is awesome, even before the brembos were buggered

@Poppaboost has made a good recommendation for ferodo. Watch this space.

32. If your looking for track performance the winmax w5 have been excellent. Proper track pads which work from cold which is good for every day. They do squeak a bit but that's what get when fitting track pads. Two track days in and they have worn maybe 20% at most which is excellent.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  33. So my new sgs boot struts have arrived. The ones on the car just starting to drop the boot the last 6 inches.

New ones to go on tomorrow (later today :wink: )