would you sell if you knew it was broke?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by sen, Aug 28, 2015.

1. sen

sen

If you knew something was wrong with your car or there were signs something was gonna be wrong pretty soon, would you still sell your car to someone unsuspecting?

I just sold my Clio 172 and spent nearly £600 making sure it was right, even though I knew I wouldn't get a lot back for it, just cos I didn't want the next owner buying something dodgy.

I also just bought a megane 225 and within 3 weeks I noticed the clutch slipping. That's just cost me 600. The previous owneronly owned the car 7 months so I'm guessing he knew about it and that's why he wanted rid. Obviously it's my own fault but whatdoes everyone else think about people who sell cars knowing they're dodgy or would you do the same?

Not expecting replies from anyone who's started a thread in the cars for sale section!!

2. Daz

Daz

I couldn't do it no. And I detest people who do.

I even rang the fella who bought my 172 as when he left my house I noticed the 3rd brake light wasn't working, even though it was fine the week before when I put the car up for sale - I offered to pay him for a new light but he was fine about it and simply appreciated the honesty. I felt really bad as I was adamant it was a perfect example when I put it up for sale.

To be honest it was, and so will the Megane when if I decide to sell it.

3. sen

sen

Let me know if you do put it up for sale then!
    Where in lancs are you?

4. No. Had an Astra before this and had someone interested, was a small fuel leak so when the tank was over half full you could smell it inside. Guy that was interested had a kid so told him about it as I'd feel guilty with the kid inside at the time. Although I would have informed them either way but even more with a kid involved.

However when I bought the Meg I noticed issues with it soon after that the garage withheld. When I spoke to them I had nothing but grief so just bit the bullet, hate people that try to con you just to make a sale. Even more so when it makes it unsafe.

5. Tough call really and a moral dilemma, I couldn't do it personally but would sell and get an idea of cost of fixing and be willing to reduce the price accordingly.

Problem is if you let someone know about an issue theyre either going to run a mile or screw you down on the cost massively.

6. To play devils advocate, the clutch could have been ok , and it just went past the point of no return with you. Mine "just went" and started slipping.

7. As above, to play devils advocate - doesn't everybody sell second hand cars because there is a problem with them?

Having just bought a brand new car, as soon as you get it home they're are problems with it if you're picky enough. Stone chips, corroded wheels, dirty interior - it all happens constantly.

The problems could be, but not limited to, a lack of performance, lack of reliability, cost to run, bored of them, not suitable.

I sold my R26 because it was costing too much to run. I didn't shaft the next owner with a obvious problem, but he bought it during a cycle of problems within which I paid to have made right all the problems. The reason I sold was that I couldn't continue this process - I worked out that a new 275 Trophy would be cheaper to run than a 6 year old R26.

8. sen

sen

Yep, totally agree. I'll never know 100% but when someone buys a car 2006 meg 225 in December, gets aux and cam belts done plus other stuff costing +600 quid 2 months later then sells a few months after that for 3500 I think most people would be suspicious. Again, it could be just one of those things and this isn't a thread trying to vent my anger at the previous owner. Just an example and asking for other people's views.

I also sold my Clio because it seemed to be at that age where problems kept arising although to my knowledge there was nothing wrong with it at the time. Plus I needed something a bit bigger.

9. Depends on the car tbh, my personal cars are always in good shape when I sell them, I generally get any bodywork issues sorted out, full mot, and service record kept upto date, with any issues dealt with, not wanting to shaft someone and also, so I know when someone comes to view the car, I know it's right and they won't find any fault with it, so I don't get, "this and that are wrong with the car, I'll give you £1000 pound off the asking price etc etc.

some of my family cars that I have bought off DEALERS, that have fucked me over, then that's a different story, when I've had enough of the continuous problems and faults that seem to cost a bomb to repair, that should have been put right upon me buying the cars, but the gobshite dealers just fob me off with there bullshit, then yeah I trade them in.

10. I've sold cars before which have had problems which I know about.

But 99.9% of the time, I would either have a replacement part included in the sale or I would make them aware of the problem.

I couldn't sell a car which I knew had problems and I didn't tell the new owner. That's harsh and could end messy.

11. To a main dealer as a px offering me well below the market value? YES.

To an honest Joe bloggs who has saved all of his money up to buy it? NO WAY!

I put my old 172 back together as standard with all new parts even though it was only worth £3k. The bloke who purchased it was hands down the nicest person I've ever sold a car to. Just married, purchased a house, first 'fast' car since selling up to save for his wedding etc. I couldn't be the cnut to ruin his hard work.