Worn dump valve spring/ wrong pressure spring?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by mrpink, May 25, 2015.

1. That's normal.

2. Normal operation to be open when the vacuum pipe is connected on tick over? I was expecting it to be closed?

3. If its open and allowing air to pass on idle it's not normal.
    Stronger spring or shims will defiantly help.

4. Its on vac so is open when on boost it closes lift the throttle your in vac again so it opens.

5. Not trying to jack a thread but I have a forge dv that i purchased second hand and makes the same noise as this one in this video : https://youtu.be/W4brqpuU7Pk
    I don't want the valve anymore but I did see a servicing kit I can buy to fix it ready for sale if that's what the problem is :smile:

6. Mrpink Is that a twin piston valve?

7. MBC

MBC

Sounds like a diesel on that vid

8. Looks like a single piston one, now ive watched the video on a larger screen, a Baileys DV34?
    It will work but will allow unfiltered air into your engine.
    The DV36 is twin piston and will stop this or just get a stronger spring so this one only opens with vacuum on the small hose and positive pressure pushing on the piston.

9. Cheers guys :smile:

I think it may be single as you say James, as its off my Saph Cosworth from a few years ago.

I don't want to be letting in unfiltered air, especially as it may throw out the A/F?

Do you think a stronger spring would do it? if not ill have a look around as I have a few others I can try, although I expect they will all be single piston given the age.

10. A stronger spring will work but if you go too strong it might not open when you want it too If your not running enough boost.
    A lot of kits come with shims so you can fine tune it.