265 Winter Tyres

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by MarkRSi, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Any recommendations for winter tyres/wheels for the 250/265? Preferably I'd not want to use my 18" Tibors, steelies or otherwise cheap alloys preferred.

On the one hand, my car has an LSD with the engine over the driven wheels. On the other hand, so did my MR2 Roadster (over the rears obviously) and the lack of traction (probably not helped by the Toyo T1-Rs) was nearly comical, and if the tyres are anything like those fitted to my previous hot hatch (Civic Type-R FN2) they'll probably be kak in the snow LSD or not.

2. I got a set of toyo snowproxes on my R26 last year. Unstoppable in the snow and much much improved on cold damp roads. 235/40/18 were about £100 a tyre.

3. Fortunately for me I've got an old set of clio197 wheels so got some Hancock winter tyres for them and used them had to get some wheel adapters made though as stud pattern is completely different I didn't get stuck once winter tyres are a must in the snow.
    qaraqymu.jpg

4. These are mine Hankook I-cept evo w310 in a 225/40/18 , fitted to my winter wheels that are oz racing F1s, feels so much safer in winter conditions

[​IMG]

5. So winter tyres are a must for hot Meganes, LSD or not?

Regarding the wheels, I've heard you can get Pro Race 1.3 wheels to fit.

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They are not a must, I didnt bother and ran PS2's which were down to about 3mm over this winter, Which we had a lot of snow and ice, Car was fine, actually surprised me at how much grip i had with it.

Just learn how to drive properly in the conditions.

7. Definitely not a must, but very worthwhile. Saves the wear on your nice summer tyres and means you can get about when everyone else had to stay at home! Only downside is that you can't have a snow day like everyone else!

8. That's what I've done in previous years... never had a problem asides from trying to get moving!

9. Winter tyres are the best 'mod' I've done to any car. people who buy tyres for track days once or twice a year and then moan about a tyre that has more grip for 4-5 months a year really get on my tits. (not saying any of you are moaning btw)

I've had Toyo snowproxies - awesome in the snow, currently have Avon ice touring, not as good in the snow but much more grip on cold/dry roads.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/avon-ice-touring-st-225-40-r18-92-v-rf

10. Have a look at some Nokian's, great winter tyres and not expensive as I run Pilot Alpin PA4, but we do have a lot of snow and I'm taking my Meg to the Austrian Apls a lot.

11. Checked with my local tyre/wheel place (Turriff Tyres)

Regarding wheels, they recommended Imola or Monza (Team Dynamics) wheels over the Pro Race 1.3s as these would be a bit cheaper, any thoughts?