Winter storage of the Megane ?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Mozzer24, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Hi guys
    Need sum info please iv just got an old nail for the winter .
    Now I'm looking to put the Megane up for the cold crap months and want to know if I should do anything to it before covering it up ?
    Thank for any info ! Daz

2. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Trickle charger for battery a d leave windows slightly open. If you can wheels off and on axle stands. Fire it over monthly. That's what I'd do if I had the facilities anyway... Mines just stuck up a drive in the winter :worried:

3. Dan

Dan

I fill my car to the brim, if I can't get her up on axle stands I pump the tyres up an extra 5-6psi, have the oil changed just before she goes away.

Stop talking about winter... :tongueout:

4. Brim it? never heard that one, most people storing cars/bikes I've seen generally recommend draining the tank as fuel separates when left too long and you end up with something like sludge and turps. Used to store my bikes over winter, ran them nearly empty and then brimmed them asap when taking them out as the one time I left an amount of fuel in the bike took a lot of starting and then ran like a pig till it had new fuel in it.

Oh or you can add a fuel stabiliser to the fuel you have in it.

5. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

i'm starting the meg tomo, for its MOT, been dead for a year, hell it'll need a good whack of Vpower the poor thing.

6. It's going in the corner of my workshop so yeah I can get it off the floor :smile: sry to start so early but I'm just setting things ready to just do it :smile: good info tho guys

7. I don't cover mine up as heard too many horror stories about grit getting under the covers and then being scratched in as the cover moves in the wind or as its removed.

Never preferenced any amount of fuel but I usually have my car full by habit and its never done me any harm. If its Mot'd and insured I'd take it for a short drive once a month just to get the brakes and suspension moving.

8. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

wish i had a workshop!

9. Winter storage will be in the car park at work from 07:00 until 16:00 and on my drive the rest of the time :tongueout:

10. Rent a garage mate ?

11. Dan

Dan

when I stored my GT3, Porsche used to say its best to fill it up.

12. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Not exactly cheap is it, if I had the money I'd couple it to a business..

13. Well it depends how long it's stored as well, the effective octane of petrol drops pretty quickly. Honestly surprised Porsche would specify that, they probably know something I don't :smiley: