Windscreen wipers stopped working

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by .Stevo.C., Nov 18, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,

Just within the last week or so my windscreen wipers have started playing up. They can be working perfectly fine one minute then just stop all together and then start going up the window in small movements.

When I set the stock to the fastest setting they work fine but on the other settings they start playing up. They also don't work when I pull the stock for the washers but the washers spray the window fine.

Anyone got an idea what the problem could be? It's doing my nut in!

2. Simple checks first (assuming you've not done it!) check fuses? Check the sensor is clean on the windscreen?

3. I've not checked the fuses yet I'm not entirely sure where the fuse box is. The sensor on the windscreen I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it as that's for the auto wipe. That's not really worked properly for a couple of years at least since it got it's first windscreen replacement.

4. i would check that the scuttle panel isn't full of water submerging the wiper motor... also check the mechanism to see if its seizing, spay with some wd40 and than try your wipers

5. I'm planning on checking that. I'm thinking it could have something to do with the stalk?

6. sorry mate just added to my post above re seizing, i had this problem which was causing similar issues to yours

7. I'll try that too. Thanks for your help.

8. I would check the linkage isnt partially seized and causing the motor to shut down due to heat, etc.
    Then start checking the power to the fuses with a test light when operating the wipers and work your way along to the motor to make sure nothings breaking down under load. Also check earth wires to the motor as a high resistance earth will issues, then i would be looking at changing the motor if everything tests ok...

9. Will do Steven. Not the best time of year for them to stop working.

10. Probably down to the time of year that they have decided to stop working.

Also check for bad connections or corrosion at the plug to the motor.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  11. It's weird how they work perfectly fine on the fastest setting though? I'll get a look at them on Saturday.

Does the scuttle panel come off easy enough?

12. Then I'm out lol

13. Haha! I will check it though as you never know it could be that.

Cheers mate

14. Stranger things, there might be a couple of fuses! Sounds more like what the others have said, or maybe a relay?

15. Still no luck getting these working. Tried everything that has been suggested above. Starting to think it's the unit with the wiper stalks on it that's the issue.

16. Not sure what set-up is on the cars, but I had a similar problem on a Trafic Van. Wipers wouldn't auto park, and randomly started and stopped when on first setting but fine on fast speed. Turned out to be the wiper ECM (like a little ECU) that controls it all..............

17. My guess is the relay now, no idea which one or how to test it!

18. You need to determine whether its wiring, the stalk or motor...

if it fails alot i would probably disconnect the motor and use a test light to make sure the motor is getting power, earth, etc, if not then i know the motor is ok and start checking wiring, fuses and relays, all the way back to the column switch.

iv come across vehicles that the light intermittently turn themselves off and its a bad connection in the switch.

19. Relay pin 30 is main power
    pin 87 (a) is the outlet for pin 30 to consumer when relay is switched
    Pin 85 is ground for coil
    pin 86 is terminal +ve from switch

so you need to energise pins 85 and 86 and check resistance at pin 30 to 87 (a) and also check it switches..

20. You sound like you'd know how to sort it Steven ;-)

21. Where are you mate? Someone local can swap the relay and see if that cures it?

22. To be fair he has done work on that car before....

23. i doubt its the relay.
    i think it will be the wiper the motor, but thats just a guess.

column switches are on offer at renault according to fb if you want to chance your luck :wink:

24. I reckon it will be the column but I might be wrong. Its weird how it only works on the fastest setting and none of the others.

25. I seen that offer on Facebook. Not as expensive as I thought it would be tbh.

Need to get them sorted ASAP.

26. How much on offer? My rear jet works the headlight washers :/ rest of stalk works ok, its really p!ssin me off i had pumps changed as it wasnt much

27. you check to see if its partically seized? the fastest speed will have momentum to move whereas the slower speeds wont and will struggle, it was quite common on the mark 3 clios, cure was to strip the mechanism down, clean it up, copper grease everything and reassemble.

28. I think if the rear wash is doing the headlights it means the rubber tubes are plugged in wrong? They connect up behind the rear bumper so if the bumpers been off it could mean they're plugged in the wrong way.

29. Errr i think it worked when i first got car n i aint took my rear bumper off its been over a year not working tho :eek:

30. I dunno why I said rear.. The tubes are behind the front bumper lol the rear one goes up to the roof!