Window Help! Last try before I burn it!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Si., Aug 11, 2016.

1. Si.

Si.

Ok so my window stopped working. It got stuck half way open.

Took the door card off and checked the regulator. The wire had snapped and wrapped itself around the motor burning it out

I have purchased and fitted a replacement motor and module along with the metal runnerst and cabling

Now the weird bit. The window still wouldn't move. I discovered if i move the motor towards the door the window would go down. Move it away it would go up

Thinking this I replaced the door loom also..still the same problem

Once I bolted it all back together just so I could use the car the passenger window also stopped working! If I unbolt it all the passenger one works and still have the same issue with the drivers?

At a total loss with this now and it's making me wana get rid!

Anyone got any ideas? The motor and module was a tested 2nd hand unit and the runners and cables brand new

Google doesn't seem to help on this one!

2. sounds like you have a short somewhere maybe.

Could you try frigging the motor with a separate 12v supply when it's all back together but with the supply feed from the car disconnected? That will tell you if it's all okay mechanically.

3. Si.

Si.

Whats the best way of going about that?

4. Take a supply from a car battery charger but make sure the rest of the car isn't connected to the motor/reg unit.

Alternatively, put a meter across the the terminals from the supply connector on the car whilst trying the switch (obviously when it disconnected from the motor). This will show if the motor is getting a voltage reliably.

If none of this makes any sense, maybe take it to a auto electrician. Good luck mate.

5. It might not work but when I disconnected the battery my windows wouldn't close properly.

Try toggling/ pulling on the electric window switch for 5 seconds as if to close, then release the switch. it seems to somehow reset its operation. It's worth a try before doing anything else

6. Si.

Si.

Cheers guys. Will get a multimeter on the plug and see what's going on there tomorrow :smile: