Why does the 250 run hotter than 225?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Bilkos, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Well documented that the 250 runs hotter. Any ideas why?

2. It stands to reason that if you are producing more power, there will be more heat - more energy from fuel converted into mechanical effort per second.

A corollary of this is that the inefficiencies scale up similarly, so that if you are producing more power, you will produce more wasted heat.

All of this assumes that the cooling efficiency is equal between both cars, of which we do not know.

What I do know is modern high performance turbo cars run stupidly hot. I don't know how they manage it from an engineering standpoint. Open the bonnet after a spirited drive and the heat output is immense. How this doesn't create reliability problems is honestly a thing of wonder.

3. I hear you but there's not a lot of difference in the power made between the two cars even when they are mapped. They virtually sit the same in their respective engine bays and cooling again share most of the same parts, yet def run hotter than 225.....

4. How do you know they run hotter?

Also, what may be of interest in this is the distinction between heat and temperature, eg, a red hot poker at 500 degrees has a lot more specific heat than a white hot firework sparkler at 2000 degrees.

Does the older car have materials that retain heat more, or again have less cooling or heat shielding?

5. Beyond my level of expertise but well documented on here the high water temps. On the track, I've read people have seen 130 deg. Also didn't Forge develop a intercooler for hot climates? Asian ans Australia owners have also mention the same. Like you said, many viables.

6. I would like to read a review from someone on the pro alloy kit. I wonder if it is as good as it sounds ??

Has anyone fitted this kit that can give a geek review on it ?