250 Whirring noise

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Soulja, May 9, 2014.

1. Hi all,

My car makes a faint whirring noise when cruising along in 5th and 6th gear at around 45-60mph. Does anybody have an idea what this could be? Clutch or belts perhaps?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Possibly wheel bearing

3. I've had a look at the timing belt and the middle roller seems to have some play, it moves slightly side to side. Is this supposed to happen? Also the noise sounds like it's speeding up when I accelerate and winding down when braking.

4. Sounds like a wheel bearing to me if it's speed related

5. Sounds like what mine is going through... it gets louder the longer you leave it... on my way to collect my front wheel bearings and replacing the lot sometime this week.. will ipdate you if that's sokved my problem... I'm getting the steering arms and tre's done at the same time but I don't think they have anything todo with it...

6. Yep mine is also getting louder the longer I leave it, hopefully the new bearings will solve the problem.

7. Mine does this too at the same speeds in the same gears. Its not the wheel bearings as I have had one of them replaced (as that was properly making a noise) and if you disengage the gear at the same speed the noise goes away. I think its something to do with the gearbox or flywheel. On mine its between 40-50 then after that it goes away.

Its not so bad but once you know its there it can be annoying!
    Let me know if you have any other ideas?!

8. Mine goes in friday..

Josh yours sounds like a different issue.. I'm sure if I disengage the gear I can still hear it... and it's coming from the rear of the car.. hence my thought of it being the one of the rear bearings

9. Ah right that makes sense mines definitely from the front.

10. I disengaged the gear this morning and I still had the noise.

11. Mine was down to the wheel bearings... gor it back today and no more noise...

12. That's good news then mate :smile: