Whine in 2nd only..

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Harrison Varney, May 10, 2020.

1. Good evening all!

Im brand new to this forum and currently a little confused about an issue i seem to be having at the moment..

So basically, the car (Megane RS250 - 61 PLATE) drives absolutely flawlessly however i have a noticeable whine in 2nd gear.. the whine only happens in 2nd (maybe very very slightly in 3rd but not sure if this is just me being paranoid) it sounds as if it is just the gear winding up if that makes any sense? I have asked a couple of mates who also have meganes and they said that theres also do the same.. maybe its just the way the gearbox is?(i hope..) anyway i was wondering if i could have some more opinions on this and if anyone also has this "whine" in 2nd as the revs raise to around 3500, also something to note i cant hear it if i put my foot down however not sure if this is just down to the noise of the exhaust masking it.. haha. That being said i was also wondering if it could be a pulley or tensioner or something instead.

Many thanks in advance!

Harrison.

2. If you notice the whine only in 2nd gear, don´t think it can be a pulley or tensioner. It´s difficult to know if can´t hear the noise. Sorry can´t be useful!!:sweat:

3. How many miles has yours done, i replaced mine at around 112k miles, not because of any whine, 3rd gear went.
    But once i stripped the gearbox i found that some of the coating on the bearings had come off, also one of the bearings had a lot of wear.

4. Mines done 86k mate. Thats not good!:flushed: its odd it only does it in 2nd really, and is totally fine in all other gears.

Yeah true mate. I was thinking maybe as it could be caused due to load on the engine etc. But youre probably right.. im just trying to think of things to pull me away from having the get the bkx rebuilt..:tired::tearsofjoy:

5. Box*

6. theres a 1-2mm lip on that bearing race :openmouth:

7. Mine does the exact same thing only when I am taking it easy and not putting a load on it. It's a very faint whine.

Not sure if it's normal or not either.

8. Exactly the same here mate if i put a bit of load on it its fine.. im glad im not the only one though, im beginning to think its normal

9. Well mates, yesterday, after a fast road driving, I seemed to listen that kind of noise. I went with the window down and for a moment heard it, or that I think. Anyway, this morning drive the car again and don´t listen anything. Maybe it appears when the gear box oil is hot or something??

10. Same here mate, mine has a little whine, its more noticeable at 2nd Gear, it can be heard at the rest of the gears but i have to pay a lot of attention to notice it. The sound was driving me nuts and after a little research i found the some say its normal and Renault Gearboxes are shitty and noisy, some said that are the bearings of the gearbox and in the worst case the diff.

How is your shifting? Smooth or Stiff? It´s a little bit clunky when when shifting Neutral to 1st and 2nd Gear?

Try changing the oil of the gearbox.

11. Exactly the same here mate. Ive leadnt to live with it.. car shifts and pulls absolutely fine, the bix oil is being changed next saturday at ktec for some millers nt+ goodness! Will update if it sounds any quieter! If it was the diff it would do it in all gears i guess so i ruled that out.