Sponsored By:  

Which Tyre?

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by EAndy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Which one shall I order? :smiley:

[​IMG]

2. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Lol, I've just had a set of these fitted, I'm doing Brands on Monday.

They have had some good reviews.

3. I found them lethal in the wet.

4. Lot better out their if you've got the money , good tyres though

5. Yep.

if just a track tyre they are great in the dry I loved them. Pointless for uk roads in my opinion, far better road tyres out there for greasy>wet roads!

6. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Mine are only for track use, semi slick tyres are not designed for wet weather,

I paid £265 for a full set, I won an EBay auction for them earlier this week.

They're a fraction of what R888 tyres would be.

7. Literally using these for now on the standard 18" Cup Wheels for track only so should be fine, perhaps if it's a sunny summer day.

I paid £340 for mine, Toyo's were I think £599 each although I have a Toyo contact thats usually worth 30% off.

8. My mate Dan uses them, he gets on great with them, just down to personal taste I guess but for the money you can't go wrong

9. I use them on my 250, no problem in the wet/rain and brilliant in the dry. Used them on track in my clio and meg, brilliant for the money. You can get them cheaper than that

10. I've not tried these but clearly people who have find them poor in the wet.

If you're after a semi slick road tyre then I can vouch for Yoko AD08R's. Had them on my Clio 197 and they were great, definitely more than capable in the wet.

11. I have these on my Clio, I use them as the road tyre to get to the track and my wet set, I don't find them too bad in the wet much better than my Dunlop DZ03G's.

12. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Ok, I've literally just stepped back in the door from doing Brands today with my new Federal 595-RS-R tyres,

Here's my opinion from what I experienced, the track was a tiny bit damp first thing and quickly dried out, the rest of day until we finished at 4pm was dry, track temp was around 10 degrees C.

I found them awful, I'm running around 360lbs/ft torque and experienced 3rd gear wheels spins ( my car has Cup chassis with LSD) out of most corners, I'm very tempted to have them taken straight off tbh, that's how disappointed I am in them.

There was plenty of temperature in the tyres, so no cold tyre excuses.

If you're running a standard car then I'd say they may be adequate, but not if you're running any large torque, they just can't handle it, I'll get the car back out of the garage tomorrow and post pictures up of the tread wear, I did around 100-120 track miles today and around 300 road miles there and back home.

This is obviously just my experience, but I personally will never buy another set. :mad:

13. Where can you get them cheaper ?

14. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

I've just bought some b/n R888s, 235/40/18 medium compound for £440 delivered !, Now I'm not sure if these are the old E marked ones for road use or the new non E marked for track use only, but I have only bought them for track use anyway so it makes no odds to me which they are, I remember when for that size they were £800 ish.

15. Oli

Oli

Where did you find them at this pice? Cheapest i can find is about £550

16. Just to add more confusion I have used these for a few years and find wet grip okay!
    they do however create a lot of road noise

17. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Sellers user name is 'trackgroupltd'

they had them advertised at £125 a tyre or best offer, I got them for £110 each.

they do say the have lots of tyres, so it may be worth messaging them.

18. Oli

Oli

Cheers (ebay i assume). I've sent them a message as they don't seem to list 235/40 R18 at the moment for the R888.