265 Which oil with track use?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Hsp, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Hsp

Hsp

Hello,

What kind of oil are you guys using when doing track stuff? My car is a daily/track car combo, and I'm currently just running 5w40. Is this sufficient for track use or would it be necessary to use something like 5w50?

Thanks in advance.

2. We’ve opted for 10/50 Fuchs Titan Race Pro S this time, 1st time out on Monday coming so we’ll see have it goes

3. Millers

Attached Files:

Agreen and Si271 like this.
  4. Hsp

Hsp

5w40?

5. Always Millers! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

6. oilman

oilman RSM Trader

Do you know how hot the oil is getting on track?

Cheers,

Guy

7. Hsp

Hsp

105-110 degrees on the RS monitor, maybe 115 on a hot (30 degrees+) day is as high as I usually see. My car will be remapped this summer tho, might be a bit higher after that.

8. oilman

oilman RSM Trader

A good ester synthetic 5w-40 will be fine at those temps. Millers CFS, Fuchs Pro S, Motul Sport etc all ideal.

Cheers,

Guy

9. One thing to bear in mind is the oil temperature on the RS monitor is an estimated value. There's no physical oil temperature sensor on the car from factory.

manugtt likes this.
  10. Hsp

Hsp

Do you know how accurate these temps are?

11. I remember reading that it can read up to 20C higher than the real temperature when on track, but don't quote me on that :grin:

12. How did it go ?

13. I was recommended to 10w60 (millers) for temps up to circa 150c. But would run 5w40 in my Impreza and never really had any issues and oil would run hot in that.

I tend to drop the oil before/after a track session or two. Regardless of car.

14. As far as I can tell all good, no issues with pressure or temperature (it was a cold day)

Ive dropped the oil (no surprises there) and refilled with the same Fuchs 10/50

The previous owner ran millers 10/60 - I contacted Millers and after detailing all the engine work and power figures they said 10/50 would be suitable but ideally they would like some actual oil temperatures.

Many years ago I had a discussion with an engineer from shell who tried to explain to me about power loss and heat generation when using heavier oils than manufacturers recommended (must admit most of it when over my head) - heat was a problem for us hence we dropped back to 10/50. Always liked Fuchs fully synthetic products.