R26 Which Brake Discs?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Yorkshire_LY, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Which brake discs would people recommend for an R26?

Theres two different Brembo types on Eurocarparts...one at 8mm thick and cheaper ones at 10mm thick. Which is best to get? (Just for normal road use)

2. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

George@RTR Parts and Si271 like this.
  3. yep..top service...posts things out immediately.

George@RTR Parts likes this.
  4. Yeah ive been looking at the site...the ones at £211 look good. Are Brembo pads at £40 on there ok?

5. Are you looking for fronts or rears?

6. Just rears mate.

7. depends on how you drive..normal road drving,they are up to the job.

8. george doesnt sell cheap parts which will compromise on quality.
    Hes not the cheapest,but the few quid you might save buying elsewhere,is made up by 100% service,and mega fast turnaround.Things in very short supply these days!

9. make sure you buy the correct ones then..R26 are different from normal 225.

10. Any of these should be the correct rears for an R26:
    _20190617_183745.JPG

andrewjeffs likes this.
  11. this should be a sticky really..very useful info.

12. What are the Godspeed ones like from Kam racing?

13. George@RTR Parts

George@RTR Parts RSM Trader RSM Trader

Thanks! @Feirny @andrewjeffs

Think sent you some info on your Facebook post @Yorkshire_LY . RTR Parts unit is based in Mirfield, West Yorkshire if that's' close to you for collection

I can supply lots of OE spec aftermarket brake manufacturers (all that list above and many more) , and only stock the OE Renault rear discs for the RS models . Plain, OE drilled, and R26R grooved . The reason I stock/recommend the OE Renault discs is these have the best/proven wheel bearings in them (this is where the extra cost is over other makes) but it's worth it IMO as I know they're right when I'm sending them out to owners

I can supply Apec, Mintex etc etc, but the bearings just don't seem to last in them , especially when used hard on track with sticky tyres etc

14. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

This, the bearings in the likes of the Apec, Mintex ones are aftermarket which are bought in then fitted to their disc. The likes of Ferodo, Brembo, Pagid, TRW, SNR all have OE standard bearings in which will outlast the disc.

15. Cheers mate,im in Castleford so not too far away. The garage yesterday said my rear discs had a bit of a lip in,so is it just worth replacing them? I dont do any track stuff,just spirited b road hehe.

16. my last set of OEM rears came from george.years of hard driving later..still fine.
    I do find oem cross drilled noisy on the rear ,when braking repeatedly at high speed.
    As well as the weird ripples in the disk, that always appear on oem R26 rear disks.

For the front, i found with my carbotech pads,i needed the cross drilling to stop the pads from glazing when thrashing them hard.Plain disks before were turning blue when pushed .

17. George@RTR Parts

If there is an obvious lip , chances are they're approaching their min thickness of 9.5mm mate (new 11mm thick the rears) @Yorkshire_LY

18. they were new george..from you!...its the carbotechs..they dont like not being run on plains
    before i was on oem cross drilled ..no problems.
    switched back to oem`s..problem goes.
    Bite is lost,as the pad faces just glaze right over without a form of venting/cooling across the face of the disk.

19. ah ok,how do the discs get lipped if the pad is in front of them? (probably a really noob question haha)

20. Would like to know too as ill likely be getting these in month or 2

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

21. George@RTR Parts

yes some compounds do work better , with different discs types @andrewjeffs

The thickness of the lipped part of the discs is the new thickness, this doesn't change as it's not in the swept area of the pads. The discs wear down through friction with the pads , when you brake. So your rear discs have 1.5mm of serviceable life/use when new, before they have to be changed. Hope that makes sense! @Yorkshire_LY

Yorkshire_LY likes this.
  22. Two 15 minute sessions at castle Combe and I’ve got the same issue. Never had it on my grooved discs on my evo. Might give Carbotech a shout see what disc he recommends with there pads

23. Plain disc's are fine, it's more than likely the bedding in process, i have plain disc's and i have only had problems with PBS pads that couldn't deal with the punishment at the ring, put in an old set of cl8's and no problems for the rest of the day.

24. I have plain Brembo HC front discs standard Renault rear with CL5+ pads all round. Been to Castle Combe twice in warm conditions. Never had a brake isssue.

25. In my experience/knowledge not a problem if discs go blueish colour that’s just heat. Glazed over is when they are all shiny.

26. Will stick with it and see what happens while at Donington

27. they do need to be bedded in correctly,to get pad through all the heat cycles.
    XP8`s seem to be a odd pad,that are mega when new,but do seem to have initial bite issues after time.

28. I run xp8's for all driving, work great on the road and as you say great bite from cold right through to the heat to discolour my calipers :laughing::laughing::laughing:

29. yeah..i have had them on my car since they came out years back.
    They always seem to go off as they age though.
    When new,you have to be very careful with pedal pressure,
    as they can really grab hard if you are to heavy on the brakes.
    Been caught out once or twice when jumping into my R26 from another vehicle!

30. when they get old :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: mine don't last 6 months

31. thats the difference you see!...mine fast road only...normally get a year out of a set.
    but my cars a garage queen!

32. Mine is used on the road to drive to track days so do get hammered.

33. this is it..they love to be hammered..the hotter they get,the better they seem to work.They just seem to lose that good bite from cold they have from new.
    i think i will give DS111 a go next.

34. I used the DS1.11 as the very first performance pads on my 225, they were great, but the dust was incredible.
    Came into some roadworks at night fast, almost into an emergency brake situation and i could see the dust in my mirrors through the headlights of the car behind

35. shit..and i thought the bloody xp8`s were dusty.
    kills your wheels as well if you dont get it off!

36. I know, i didn't bother cleaning my wheels and they look bad, but there for track days so not worried :laughing::laughing:

37. I would say the XP8's are less dusty, but you will have to try it yourself as yours is road only.

38. i do push the brakes super hard though.
    We have a road sequence round here that we call the`brattonring`.
    close to the moors,and most of the time pretty much deserted.But its super smooth,and a real test of a cars brakes with so many short straights and sharp corners.This certainly shows up any deficiencys in a cars braking!

39. Wont be like a track day, where its 30/40 minutes of constant brake, corner, accelerator and brake.

I'll have to pop up sometime and give this road a try out :laughing::laughing: