Where to fit the sender for a water temperature gauge

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by grantw, Mar 30, 2016.

1. I have an R26 and I'm going to fit a Depo water temperature gauge. Can anybody tell me the best way / where to fit the temperature sensor :confused:. Can I buy a replacement hose with a fitting to insert the sensor?

Cheers,

Grant

2. What sender fitting do you have? Personally id fit oil temp/pressure instead of water

3. it's 1/8 NPT according to the instructions.

4. Just go out and measure the coolant house after the radiator

5. Hose*

6. House, yeah spotted that but I couldn't see how to edit a post?

7. If you want to know what your engine is doing, you should measure water at the exit of the block towards the radiator and not after the radiator because you are not interested how well the radiator can cool the water, rather how hot your engine is running.

S.

8. Water temp gauge - Oil Pressure & Temp Gauge - Boost & Volt Gauge

Good shout!!

I'm usually pretty good at doing this sort of stuff myself.

I'm not familiar with the mechanicals and layout of the Megane - where should I start to look - will I need to remove much to get access to the system where the water exits the block - will I need to be under the car or do I access from the front or top - any pointers.

I'll post up some pics while I'm working and of the finished gauges and pod that I've built.

9. Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. Definitely under the bonnet will do, not under the car. Water gets out on the top hose and gets to the top point of the radiator. Bottom corner of the rad goes to the water pump. Pump always pushes the cold water into the engine. This is a simplistic explanation of water circuit. One best guest for you would be to locate the OEM water temp sensor because it is pretty much in the same place.
    Make some pics and I can try to help further. I have a dCi, so I can't show on my car.
    S.

11. Ok thanks. I'll try and locate the OEM temperature sensor.