Wheels Wandering

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by benm25, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Hi Everyone,

Looking for some tips i have had a Megane F1 2006 for 6 years and i am recently having trouble with it or should i say having more trouble then usual.......

I have noticed that the when i am driving it and i cross any painted lines or uneven surfaces on the road the wheel crossing it will start to follow it, leaving a very unpleasant driving experience. The first thing i suspected was the Swivel bearings, which i replaced after a year of owning the car and have recently done again just to make sure it wasnt the problem and to install the bolts with the grease channel. I have also within the last 3 months replaced the front top mounts, springs and shocks. I have had a look over the car and there isn't anything glaringly obvious wrong. Its up on 120k miles so there is plenty of wear and tear on it. The next thing on the list is the wishbones which i am in the process of replacing the ball joint and bushes.

Just posting this here in the hope people have experienced something similar and could be of any help.

2. Think you’ve probably answered your own question there Ben, more than likely going to be knackered bushes on the arm or drop/anti rotation links that have had it, I’ve just renewed all mine and it feels like a new car, so precise to drive, absolutely love it again!

Brigsy likes this.
  3. Bushes probably going, have you checked inner and outer track arms and anti swival rods?

4. I'm selling a bunch of front end parts at the moment including control arm bushes and anti swivel links.

Best regards

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

5. You have to do everything on these cars now suspension and steering wise to bring it back to its former glory.
    Wishbones,shocks springs,swivel hubs,anti roll bar bushes,rear arm bushs subframe bushes,TRE`s,inner arms,rack bush,
    anti twist links,roll bar drop links will all need doing by now.I have done all these things to my own R26,and you can literally feel the old magic coming back each part you renew.Everything's 14+ years old now,so its bite the bullet,or move it on.

Brigsy likes this.
  6. even something as simple as tracking can play a big part with these cars.You have to be so carefull,as some garages do not calibrate their equipment,which can result in wayward handling.My tracking was done by a local place,but when it went on Renaults tracking equipment at a later date,it was all over the shop!

7. As above refresh the rest of the suspension, bushes, balljoints, inner tie rods and track rod ends will all be past their best. Get geo done after fitting.

8. Thanks for all the responses. I have a bit of time now to give the car a look over so i will look at all the things mentioned. The only two things on the list above that i havent replaced in the last year and a half is the wishbone bushes and the anti roll bar bushes. So i will by them anyway and try and see what else is gone. Moving it on could be an option as i would like something a bit more reliable.