What to watch out for - mid box chop

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by sonyboy, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Hi guys.. Asked me local garage to chop the mid box off... Before I do it.. Does anyone know of anything I need to watch out for and remind the garage who had done it before but not on a rs? Many thanks..

2. Nope, just simply chopping out the box and welding in a straight pipe, shouldn't take more than 45mins tops.
    You'll love the mod!

3. I was originally going to get this done but Long Life wanted over 100 quid for the job. I explained to him that it was simple and a straight piece of pipe. He still said about 140 quid. I hung up..

4. as above mate just a piece of pipe n 45mins work, had mine done at mark blacks while he was doing my clutch/flywheel n itg kit, sounds real sweet for very little money :blush:

5. Done guys, just some feedback on experience. It's quite subtle whilst driving it normally (bit disappointed on this aspect) but you notice the difference when putting your foot down (louder and more poppint)

It wasn't the same has having a miltek exhaust which cost 8 times more, which was noticeable from starting the engine.

6. I've got the straight pipe and backbox chop, for me thats perfect for what it cost (some welding and about an hour) as has been said at idle its got a nice burble but open it up and it pops and bangs lovely on the over-run. For a cheap mod it's worth doing, plus straight through on a turbo system is better as a turbo engine doesn't need any back pressure.