What rebuild route to go

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Adam loveridge, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Hi every one Ive recently picked up a misfiring r26 has low compression, the engine is now out

I have a print out from engine dynamics saying its made 282 bhp and 302 lbft what would it have needed to achieve this

Now I want to try go for the 300 mark just curious as to what I'll need to change i.e is it worth forging while I'm there, new turbo, different injectors ect
    It's a second car so im not in any hurry to get it back on the road
    Would like people advice /recomendations of where to go next
    Thanks Adam

2. Would have been making just over a bar boost and running 730cc injectors and a map obviously

3. Bigger injectors(not essential,but standard will be on the limit),Uprated intercooler,stage 2 tune.
    Its well known the mk2 meganes lump is on the limit at 300lb/ft.
    The weakness is in the rods.
    They dont all go bang,but its a risk.

If you want that kind of power and more,then forging the rods and pistons is the way to go.
    The turbo will also be giving its max at 300HP.

4. It's got a larger airtec already
    So it's better to just do the internals while it's all there to be honest isn't it

5. if you want 300 reliable HP yes.
    Going to cost you a few quid..especially if you add a hybrid turbo, to get it over the 300.

6. I don't mind spending the money I really like the car
    Any recommendations for companies ?

7. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

where are you located?

8. Essex mate

9. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

engine dynamics

Mikey4410 likes this.
  10. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Worth changing the valves for single piece ones too while the engine is apart. Might aswell rebuild the top end.
    And in my opinion its best to change the water / oil pumps too and start again all from new :smile:

11. Yh I've just been looking at the rebuild kits on the engine dynamics web site seems like a good option to be honest

12. Or find a low mileage 250/265/275 complete engine and fit that as it already has the bigger turbo and will make 340+bhp with intercooler exhaust and map.

13. are they a straight swap?

14. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Not sure there is much of a saving on the packages there from buying the parts seperately?
    Definitely have a serious think before you go for it, as you may change youre mind later and decide you want more power, it would be worth building the engine to do that later on :sunglasses:

15. Few bits that need to be altered afaik though relatively straight forward and probably fair bit cheaper than a full forged rebuild.

16. That's the thing I no what I'm like I'd probably regret it

17. you could end up spending almost as much as what you paid for the car!
    Forged parts for the F4RT lump are not cheap.then add in everything else,and it starts getting expensive.

18. A decent second hand engine prob would be a good idea then build the one that's out in my own time

19. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Depends where what you want from the car, for example my project is all being done in one hit, and andrewjeffs is right, my turbo kit has cost me litterally the same as my R26! the engine, fuel system, suspension, gearbox, drive etc etc, all adding up to a fairly hefty amount essentially all just to run a fairly big turbo and try to deal with the power. I could have easily gone and bought another car that had 400+ from the start, but this megane project has been on my mind for a while, and I am completely happy doing it.

dub16 likes this.