265 What panel filters are people running - MK3 265

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by DV8, Apr 5, 2019.

Best panel filter

1. Green

2. K&N

3. Pipercross

4. Ram Air

5. K-TEC

6. BMC

7. Other

8. Don't bother...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DV8

DV8

Looking for something that flows a bit better than the OEM filter but still has decent filtration...

I know there's a bunch of options - is there a go to recommendation?

2. Got a Ramair panel filter in mine with the sound deadening removed. Seems to perform pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DV8 likes this.
  3. Pretty sure that I read somewhere that panel filters dont make any performance difference.

4. Probably don’t make much difference if any, on their own. But will complement other mods.

5. DV8

DV8

I will be getting a tune at some point, and exhaust mods...

6. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

id go with bmc or itg

i had pipercross and ktec in my clio 182 and the rubber edge failed on both so it put me off of them. the ktec was made by pipercross, dont know if thats still the case

7. Foam filters (like ramair) will flow best but filter the worst. For the best compromise i’d look at something like k&n or itg

8. ITG are foam too. Most performance air filters are foam, only a few are cotton like K&N

9. test I conducted:
    with factory filter and home make cotton gauge across throttle intake mouth after 1 month driving in UK result: negligible discolouring of white cotton fabric

with aftermarket K&N filter, same home made device across throttle intake after 1 month driving in UK result: good amount of fine black soot across entire white cotton fabric

if you're not bothered and dont plan on keeping the vehicle than fit whatever filter
    if likely to keep vehicle and want long engine life with minimum boar wear stick with factory filter

same with oil:
    not keeping vehicle, have zero mechanical sympathy then use cheapest oil you can find
    want you engine to still look like new after 90k miles use top range expensive oil

nothing new with any of above

Doctor_Proctor likes this.
  10. DV8

DV8

I would expect a bit of oil passthrough but thought this was only ever causing issues with the sensors and not the engine itself. Surely it would just burn the very small amount of oil to go into the combustion chamber wouldn't it?

11. The tiny amount of oil installed on these aftermarket filters is not normal an issue the black soot I mentioned was airborne particles allowed to pass through a less effective filter

12. DV8

DV8

Ahhh i'm with you now, interesting test if it is fine particles passing through.

13. DV8

DV8

Wanted to update on this - had the car tuned with factory filter and it still made decent power. Will be sticking to yearly OEM filter replacements :smile:

14. Depending on use but would be inclined to change more than once year, same with engine oil, forget factory change schedule, 5k miles for maximum engine protection

15. DV8

DV8

Already change the oil every 4-6 months, will keep an eye on the filter. Had one in 6 months ago and it looked fine when I took it out at the weekend and put a new one in but it's so cheap and easy to change.