250 What causes the swivel joints to go - fast cornering?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by sonyboy, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Had my swivel joint replaced, it was so badly worn that it was causing my car to pull left and right on uneven roads, the problem has since been rectified. Question is, what causes swivel joints to break? Is it fast cornering.

I've once been told that biggest single factor to causing expensive worn parts on a car is fast cornering, not acceleration or braking, is this true?

2. Fast acceleration causes the clutch to wear, fast braking puts strain on the brakes, and what about the tyres and and and... Just enjoy your car mate, it's gonna have to be maintained/repaired at some point anyway, might as well enjoy it!

git-r and ianplymouth like this.
  3. The best mentality to have. The less you worry about things going wrong the more you'll enjoy the car!

git-r likes this.
  4. Everything wears out eventually.

As far as I was aware, the main reason for swivel joints going is due to a lot of wet weather driving, dirty roads etc, water getting into the joints and drys them out which kills them. Obviously hard driving hitting kerbs on track etc is going to shorten their life.

You should enjoy the car, dont worry about stuff, this car is designed to corner.