R26 Wet saggy lining under front wipers

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by Chris79, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Evening all. So, purchased an R26 last weekend and just started have a proper look around it today. First issue I’d like a bit of advice on is the insulation in the engine bay underneath the wipers is sagging and soaking wet and the rubber bonnet rear seal is sagging with it. It’s had an itg induction kit fitted so not sure if something has been removed to accommodate it which can be replaced or failing that can it be binned? I assume it’s just sound deadening but looks as though the bonnet seal is attached to it so didn’t want to off hire it if it Affected the seal. Car will be predominantly track based so not fussed about the noise if removal is necessary. Thanks for any input.

2. Evening mate, welcome to the forum. The sagging sound deadening and bonnet seal is a very common issue, pretty much all MK2 megane's will be like that in varying degrees, not a big issue. If it's soaked however, the scuttle drains may need unblocking (also a common issue) There's a compartment in each foot well, open them up and check if the carpet is wet or damp.

The drains in the scuttle area get blocked up with crap, usually at the bottom. Water then gets trapped in the scuttle area and can, if left too long, drain through the air intake and soak the foam and carpet in the footwells.

3. Thanks for that mate. I was aware of the scuttle issue before purchasing and checked the footwells but all was dry and still is after heavy rain Wednesday. Any advice on what can be done regarding this sound deadening/bonnet seal. As previously stated, it will be a track a car predominantly so not fussed about losing the s/d but I’m more concerned about the bonnet seal allowing ingress of water to the engine bay and playing havoc with the electrics!. Any advice much appreciated. Cheers

4. Take the seal off all together mine has been off for over two years now with no issues, i have not noticed any more noise after removing, not had any water in the engine problems

5. Perfect that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I’ll remove the lot tomorrow. Thanks again mate.

6. No problem :sunglasses:
    Keep us up to date with the track days you go on, you might meet others from here there :laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. Renault do a bracket to sort this out...