250 Wandering steering.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by al225, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Hi All. When driving my 250 it feels like I'm constantly correcting the steering.. had recent alignment so assume it can't be that.

Any bushings or mounts that may be causing it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Typical symptoms of swivel hubs. but get it up in the air and use a pry bar to see if anything has excessive play.

al225 likes this.
  3. Thanks I'll give them a look

4. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Also best way to check the swivels is undo the TRE from the hub and turn the hub, if any resistance the bearing is shot or on its way. thats how ive done the mk2 id imagine the mk3 are the same way to test but they run a slightly different bearing but same principle.

5. Cool I'll check. It's a low mileage car like and Turning is smooth and quiet. Just feels a bit floaty at 70mpg. Might check tyres pressures

CJ_RSport likes this.
  6. Rear wishbone bush is common to go too.

al225 likes this.
  7. Yep if u getting 70 mpg u are definitely floating lol

Jamie230, bobsan and al225 like this.
  8. [emoji23][emoji23] I only drive downhill haha

CJ_RSport likes this.
  9. with the wind behind you:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

al225 likes this.
  10. I had this on a car once, kept driving it and then lost control at speed and wrote the car off (20 yr ago)

11. I have exactly the same issue with my 225 f1. Its like having ultra light steering over 70mph. Any camber in the road and off it goes!!!! Replaced wishbones, ball joints,drop links, inner and outer rods, arb bushes, discs pads and braided hel hoses. Thought it was tyre pressure, but no luck.

12. i have this at the moment due to binding rear left caliper, also handbrake is seized off so no handbrake for me, it is so bad it is using a lot of esp in a right hand bend because i have to use more steering angle,
    Changing both rear caliper, rear disc and pads to sort this

13. Well i changed the rear calipers, even had tracking done which improved things but ESP still coming on in right hand bend, like you say steering is very wandering and follow the slightest rut in the road, weird, no sure where to go after reading above quotes

14. Id be taking the wheels off and having a good look over everything. Its surprising how solid it feels when its all bolted together but once the components are taken off you realise how knackered they are.

15. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Totally agree with Danny,

Ive had similar had the car jacked up trying to move things by hand no signs of stuff lose. used a big pry bar and it became clear what was at fault.

16. Mines going to the garage on Saturday. I'll tell him to get his biggest tool out and have a pry around!! Ooh errr missus!!!

17. so to update people with similar issues, i changed my 4 shocks absorber, Car passed MOT and no play anywhere to be seen, Tracking has been done too which found Toe was well out.
    Results is car is a lot better but still esp kicks in still on right hand bend. if it was mechanic it would been sorted but am thinking a plug in on clip to check steering angle sensor is ok

18. Had my mechanic pry around the front end and discovered 4-5 mm of play in the swivel hub. Bushes have seen better days!! Replacing with a unit kindly supplied to me by Ianplymouth, who appears to have more 225 spares than Renault themselves!!! Cheers again Ian.

ianplymouth and CJ_RSport like this.
  19. I had the same wandering steering bad. Just had BC's fitted and full geo set up. New lower arm, track rod ends, drop links & anti rotation. Seems to have cured it a lot but not fully 100%, maybe some play still :confused:...

20. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

It will be swivel bearings, I changed my entire front suspension setup apart from the hub and still have the slight wondering. On the left, I could hear it squeaking when moving it while putting the new shocks on. Gonna get some uprated ones from @Raptor6767 when I get the funds and get them in.

Raptor6767 likes this.
  21. Yeah i’m in the same boat I’m afraid. Was hoping the above would of cured it. I want to find out what it’s like to drive without wandering ha ha.

22. HI Guys, Final update for me just to keep people updated that might have the same issue in the future and looking fo solution,
    I got the car on a 2 poster ramp to have a good look and poke a few things underneath to see if anything was loose.
    Couldn't find anything really
    when i tried to remember what was actually happening when my esp was kicking in and braking for me at 30 mph or 60 mph, then i decided to swap the rear spring left to right just to see if i had a weak rear spring and the problem has gone for now.

I deducted that weak left springs in the rear was allowing the car to lean too much in a right hand bend.

so i will go shopping soon either for a set of OEM dci RS springs or BC coil-overs as they are quite cheap, not sure what people can advise, (i am on a set of H&R spring now and they have lasted 90k miles)