Vw/ford and now Renault

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by D7DPJ, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Hi all, new to the forum and fairly new to Renaults. I've come from the mk1 golf gti World, moved into new focus ST, had a baby (well the wife did) and ditch the ST for a 1L ecoboost stunner . Anyway due to the new world of covid, only needing to be in the office once a week I've decided to have a midlife crisis.

So I introduce my 2012 Megane 265 full fat cup. Previous owner had the car from a few months old and it's very well looked after. Fairly low miles at 70k and full service history either by Renault dealer or Midlands Renault.

My plans really is to track it a couple of times a year and really just tweak it a bit but OEM+.

So far I've added the Zeropointone extender in carbon. Great mod and love that the shifters higher and closer. I also have fitted the zeropointone tow extender ready for track days. Shame it's hidden.

I have a ktr short shifter on route to compliment the extender and at the same time I ordered the higher tensile gearbox bolt and the braided clutch damper delete. Got to take the battery etc out so may aswell.

Last few bits I'm looking to do an oil service, it's not due but want to put some good stuff in as I'll be doing some track days. Probably go for fuchs race pro, new filter and a magnetic sump plug. Also looking to replace the gearbox oil with some Millers oil.

Looking to upgrade the brakes with pbs Pro track pads on the rears and maybe Winmax for the fronts just not 100% sure yet. I've ordered some Hel braided hoses all round and then swap the fluids for motul 660.

Finally is the suspension, I was looking at grams springs however I'm almost certain the rear sits lower which is making me think the dampers are shot. I know that this is the original suspension and hasn't been refreshed. I've also had a look under to make sure it's the standard cup parts which it is. So I think the cheapest option is probably the gram springs with new dampers, shocks and top mounts. Unless some second hand coilovers appear in the mean time.

So lots to do and plan is to have it all sorted before 11th August as I'm booked into Brands hatch.

Would love some track tyres but don't think budget will allow. Hoping the brand new pzeros will be good enough.

Anyway that's me and the car, here's some pics .

Attached Files:

Beau and CupS like this.
  2. Great car, looks very tidy!

Kamracing do a package with Grams springs and new Renault Cup dampers, would be a great option. Alternatively there's the Bilstein B14s which are another great option if you are going for an OEM+ style setup.

3. Mudflaps!

Very nice. Looks very clean more of a show queen than a track hack.

Like the red accents on body & wheels.

4. Yep really not sure on those mudflaps, think there coming off.

I like the red bits but I'm also thinking it would look really nice without so on the fence whether to remove or not.

Defo not a track car but will likely do 4 a year maybe.

5. Seen the package, it's about £600 which is quite a lot. I was hoping to spend on just springs lol

6. Looks smart! Not too sure on the mudflaps but each to there own. Keep us updated with the progress

7. Shirt shifter and 3d printed cup holders arrived. Nice neat job.

Ordered a full cup suspension refresh and some grams springs.

Also thought it would be fun to show you some cars of my past.

Attached Files:

BillyA and Poppaboost like this.
  8. What do they charge for this, sounds interesting?

Vulcan3 likes this.
  9. About £600ish for the Grams kit, £800 for the B14's.

10. Ok, what do people make of this combination? Sounds like a good price to me. My car is coming up on 60,000 miles. I use it pretty much every day for commuting (6 miles of good B roads) and do a few track days per year. As I haven’t been tempted by any new car since Megane came out will probably keep for a few more years and might want to refresh the suspension at sometime in near’ish future. Also I think Megane looks the Bollocks when lowered a bit from standard.

11. Nice looking car bud, but why not look at BC Racing coilovers? I've got a set on my R26, bought 'em new, was initially a bit dubious I'll admit that, but very happy with them!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

12. I've got Cooksports on mine but the Grams look the same so wouldn't be surprised if they're the same spec springs. Comfort wise it feels pretty much the same as standard, but now there's much less body roll and it looks so much more purposeful with the monster truck factory ride height gone.

Si271 likes this.
  13. Cooksport springs..............[emoji848]. Had em on my car for a few months, then went coilovers. However, I thought they were great.........the car sat at a respectable height and they weren't really overly harsh.

Vulcan3 likes this.
  14. In fact, they were "comfy" compared to my coilovers! [emoji22]

15. In the end I went to renault parts direct and bought the refresh and then ordered some gram springs. I thought about the bc coilovers but then that meant cutting the strut towers, a proper geo setup etc etc and thought it was getting a bit too much.

Anyway I've got all this lot to fit now 20210701_133525.jpg

Lopes3d likes this.