Vauxhall Astra VXR GTC "Extreme"

Discussion in 'General Automotive & Motorsport Media' started by SebSwainR26, Feb 26, 2014.

1. People's thoughts?

image_zps1ca95d06.jpg

This is the new Vauxhall Astra VXR Extreme, and it is the most powerful front-wheel-drive Vauxhall in history.
    Whether that sentence sends you into shivers of fear or spasms of delight rather depends on whether you regard near-misses with hedges as a good thing or a bad thing.

This yet-hotter Astra VXR is derived from last year's Astra Cup car, which competed in the Nürburgring Endurance Championship (the excellently named Bonk Motorsport taking top honours last season), and is a one-off, production ready concept car set for the Geneva Motor Show. It's also a lightweight, track-honed face-melter.

That all-aluminium, 2.0-litre turbo engine has been gently modified to produce just short of 300 horses - 297bhp, to be precise - running through the front wheels, making it the most powerful four-cylinder engine Vauxhall has ever built.

There's a six-speed manual on board, with a limited slip differential on the front axle attempting to dictate power delivery. Good luck with that, lil' fella. In the regular VXR the ‘standard' 276bhp is good for a 0-62mph time of 5.9s. We suspect it shall be faster in this.

The Extreme is also 100kg lighter, thanks to the rear wing, diffuser, front spoiler, bonnet, suspension cross-bracing, engine cover, wheels, rear wheelhouse ventilation and roof all being constructed of carbon fibre.

In fact, the roof weighs just 2.6kg, the wings are made of aluminium and weigh 800g each, and the car comes with monster 370mm brakes on the front.

There are ultra-sticky 19-inch tyres that Vauxhall reckons are as grippy as those on the race car. Dampers are adjustable too.

Step inside and you'll notice the rear seats have been ripped out, replaced by a safety roll bar. Then you'll spot the Recaro buckets up front, six-point safety harnesses, a carbon-fibre reinforced steering wheel and some yellow stitching.

Yes, it's a one-off, but if received well, Vauxhall is planning on a very low-volume production run for the Astra VXR Extreme. Watch out, Golf R. And Britain's hedgerows.

More pictures :http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/v...led-2014-02-26

2. R26

R26

Still heavier than a 265 iirc. I like the extreme styling. Bet it'll cost a fookin fortune.

3. That'll look right at home on McDonald's car parks.

All seriousness though bet it'll be quick!

4. I think it'll be a good "halo model" for the image they're trying to create around VXR brand i.e. a bit more "brash and brutal" than it's rivals.
    No point in Vauxhall trying to compete with the premium look and feel of the Golf, or the dynamic excellence of the Megane - better to do something a bit different that stands on it's own merits. I think they've done a good job in that regard.

From Pistonheads:

5. Is there not a meg RSR coming out which is basically a 265 version of the R26R? Will be better than any VXR :tongueout:

6. It's still a ditch finding Vauxhall.

7. Mate...... you made me laugh after a hard day :smile: Thank you for your post!

8. Love the look of that.

Then again, for some reason, I've got a soft spot for that shape Astra.

9. Good to see a modern take on the R26.R even if that comes from Vauxhall. All negativity aside if it does go on sale like that I think it should be applauded rather than the usual Vauxhal hate.

Hopefully it sells well and gives Renault a kick in the arse to stop watering down the Renaultsport brand with special edition "paint job" models.

10. I like the look of it but with those stats my Clio will annihilate it.

11. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Looks alright. The newer Astra's looks have improved over the older one.

12. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Crazy, shame it looks hideous though

13. At that weight and with 300bhp I would think a stage1 R26 would be a match for it. Never mind your nutter Clio. Lol.

14. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

This tickled me.

15. LOL, maybe in a straight line. Cant really compare modified vs standard though.