UR Megane R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by matt e, Aug 6, 2014.

1. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

yeah solid discs are fine, fronts are about £75 from amazon for brembo. injectors were £150 i think

cheers

2. Just sat and read this whole thread with interest - lots if ideas and inspiration there. I doth my cap to your attention to detail!

Quick question - your new floor mats; where from and how much? I've got a nasty cheap set with mine and am in dire need to replace them....

3. matt e

4. Excellent - thanks for that! They look pretty good in the photos; would you recommend them?

5. matt e

yeah i would buy another set, ok they dont say renault sport but i dont think thats worth the extra £30-35 from renault

6. matt e

somethings gone very wrong,

Driving along the motorway and i smelt something but thought it was a lorry then look behind and a plume of smoke is coming from my exhaust :rage:. stopped and lifted up the bonnet and smoke was coming from behind the engine as well, i had thought it was the turbo. rung up the RAC got recovered home and decided to have look and started by taking the spark plugs out (i did think/hope the turbo had blown). spark plugs 123 were ok and when i pulled number 4 out it was black and covered in oil. looked in to the bore and its got a pool of oil in it. so it getting recovered to see whats really wrong with it tomorrow or monday

7. Fuck that mate, thats terrible, especially when the car is looked after the way u do. Such a nice motor, i feel for u mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. Surely that'll be something simple like a worn valve cover gasket or o ring on spark plug? But then is it a cambelt off job for the valve cover gasket on the f4rt

9. Jesus mate, good luck, hope its something minor

10. Doesn't sound good mate, keep us posted :cry::cry:

11. Kev said it sounds like ring land failure unfortunately :worried:

12. When my ring land failed the chunk of metal bounced about in the cylinder destroying the lower half of the plug and the exhaust valve.

I wouldn't think the worst until you have had a look in the cylinder, it might be something much simpler.

13. matt e

got the car back from the person, they were not really interested on working on it. so i drove it back tonight very cautiously instead of paying another recovery driver. i bought a endoscope from amazon and took a couple of pictures of the piston.

there seems to be a little chunk or something on the left hand side

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. my thoughts to...is it tuned?

15. matt e

not mapped, but

intercooler
    forge recirc valve
    milltek exhaust
    decat
    induction setup

16. Uber gutted for you pal. Hope you get it sorted and it comes back stronger and better!

17. matt e

Dropped it off at engine dynamics this morning

ewant81 likes this.
  18. Good luck mate! It's a good place to go to get the engine checked out and maybe even forged [emoji6]

matt e likes this.
  19. What you getting done there? Where did you take it before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ugly pictures , I hope it come's back soon to 100% :coldsweat:

matt e likes this.
  21. matt e

took it to a family friend. Dont know yet, wait to see what it actual is wrong then go from there :tonguewink:

22. Good luck mate!

matt e likes this.
  23. matt e

heard back engine dynamics, they put a borescope in and found its damaged the bore so will now need re-boring and the only pistons that are available when you rebore are forged ones. so im having the engine rebuilt and getting it forged and a few other bits done aswell.

not very good news but i was kind of expecting it though :cry:

24. Gutting. Sounds expensive but at least you won't have to play the ftlb lottery like me

25. I feel for you mate.....keep positive as you'll get a cracking motor once rebuilt

26. matt e

could do with a lottery win :grinning:

27. Were they able to say what caused the damage, Or was it just one of those things?

28. matt e

they said it could be a number of things, hopefully ill find out when they've stripped it down

mike_snowdon likes this.
  29. Cracking thread, brilliant attention to detail, you're clearly pretty handy with both fabrication/paintwork and mechanics!

I've just ordered a few bits for mine as a result of reading :smiley:

Gutted to hear about the engine problems though, but on the positive side you'll have a fairly indestructible forged engine when it's all done :wink:

30. Hi Matt

Sorry to hear about your engine problems mate. Hope you get it sorted.

Just wondered where you got your sandwich plate? Cant find one anywhere.

Cheers

31. matt e

got it off ebay, you need m20x15

32. matt e

got this delivered this morning, a Megane 250 turbo brand new
    28923146916_c47f30eff3_c.jpg Megane 250 turbo by matt eaton, on Flickr
    28850329442_910a66f1e8_c.jpg DSC_3036 by matt eaton, on Flickr
    28338843013_74c4878636_c.jpg DSC_3037 by matt eaton, on Flickr

also i bought a R26R clutch a while but that will now be fitted sonner than i was expecting
    26681829663_cb1cf5f8cd_c.jpg R26.R clutch by matt eaton, on Flickr

and also when i broke down i found the megane didnt have a tow eye, so bought this
    28171501463_cd37e2e34e_c.jpg Tow eye by matt eaton, on Flickr

heres what its having done
    Forged Piston Set (Oversize to suit engine re-bore)
    Forged Rod set
    MLS Head Gasket / Seal set
    supertech valves (inconel exhaust valves
    Cylinder head Refurbishment, New VSS and Hand lap Valves
    Hydraulic Lifter set
    Head Bolt Set
    Lower Engine Gasket / seal set
    King Crankshaft Big End Bearings
    King Crankshaft Main Bearings
    Crankshaft thrust washers
    Timing Belt Kit
    Oil Pump
    Water Pump
    Rebore engine cylinder block 83mm or 83.50mm and replace Oil spray Jets
    630cc injectors
    R26R clutch & fly wheel

Gray and Zappo_RS like this.
  33. If you don't mind could you pm me a cost of the work you're having done? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or not for me atm

34. If you don't mind I wouldn't mind knowing what sort of cost this is also, it's always something I can't help thinking about, what if it goes bang, what's it going to cost to get it forged, what did the turbo cost, possible next move for my megane, cheers ( I understand if you'd rather not say ) cheers

35. matt e

got these today

28777675440_71ae4bf1e0_c.jpg 630cc injectors by matt eaton, on Flickr

they wont be put on till the engine has been running in and then it will got back for the final remapping. there putting on a base map to start with because of the 250 turbo

Just-that-ek and Danith like this.
  36. @matt e have they said how long it'll take to complete

37. matt e

They said by the end of the month hopefully, when I dropped it there was 12 Clio's 3 Renault 5's outside so I think there fairly busy and mine wasn't booked in I just dropped it off.

I did go down Monday to drop the turbo and clutch and was told the engine was out, apparently the head has been off before because the gasket was wrong which means the compression was wrong and the head wasn't very well finished

Trophyboy, Just-that-ek and Danith like this.
  38. Hi Matt

What colour did you paint your plastic engine cover? Spent 1/2 hour un Halfrauds but could i hell find a decent match

Cheers

39. matt e

you'll need to go to a motor factors to get it mixed up or ebay, wont find it in hafords

Trophyboy likes this.
  40. I got a paint match to my car for the cover from halfrauds but the spray pattern isn't very consistent from those cans