Uprating R26 brakes

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Si271, May 12, 2019.

1. Greetings all,
    As the title says... I'm looking at upgrading the brakes on my R26. At the moment I'm running ktec's black series grooved front discs and, unfortunately EBC redstuff pads. I feel this combination is "satisfactory", but could be much better. The car is running just over 300bhp, on coilovers and semi-slicks and I definitely intend on tracking it asap, so obviously want more faith in the brakes.
    I know a lot of people are using a front mk3 set up and some are using a big brake kit, I'm undecided on which route to take and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Si

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

2. Morning Si
    You won't regret fitting the mk3 brake set up, had that set up on my 225, the only hard part is getting the spacers made up at an engineering shop, you also need longer bolts, apart from that it's a straight forward job.

The mk3 pads are cheaper than the r26/225 pads as well, some like for like pads are nearly £100 cheaper.

I ran Carbon Lorraine CL8's in mine and thought they were too much, ran performance friction Z rated in the end £114.

A couple of guys that have done this bought new calipers from RPD for a great price, less than £300, personally i would also fit Brembo plain disc's.

3. mk3 is defo the way to go.
    Just eliminates all the faff, when trying to get the mk2 brakes up to track work ability.

4. Before you go for the mk 3 setup - which means getting your discs drilled every time you change them - try this.

Brembo HC disks (plain), Ds1.11 pads and high quality brake juice. I run coilovers and semi-slicks and even at Bedford where you've got three long straights into hairpins I can lock up the fronts and never get fade even after 45 minutes.

5. Thanks for the replies gents, that's given me something to think about overnight while at work! Does anybody know of an engineering company that has made the calliper spacers and costs involved if I decide to go down the mk3 route?
    Thanks again,
    Si

6. The company i used charged me £90 to make the spacers and drill my disc's, but i think that is a very reasonable charge :laughing::laughing:

7. This is the same setup, on my Meglio, feels better than the cl5 pads.

8. i thought there is someone who supplys the full kit on here ,or the facebook page?

9. I'd be very interested if someone knows a workshop that would make the spacers.

10. What are the Ds1.11s like on the road? Can you leave them on all year round? This is for a mainly road car and a handful of trackdays.
    Cheers

11. They are great on the road. I can lock up my PS4s from stone cold. They’re also silent.

The packaging says not for road use. Presumably they don’t have a necessary rating. But they are perfectly safe.

eddie ninja likes this.
  12. Nice one. Have you used them on track?

13. Yep, that's why I bought them. I started with standard brakes (ok but not great) switched to braided lines, and decent fluid and DS2500s (much better) and then to DS1.11s (awesome).

Some race pads make a lot of noise on the road (so I'm told). I went for the DS2500s first because two people told me they were bearable. They are silent, even without any paste. So I went up to DS1.11s and they are also silent, no paste.

The standard disks (which are drilled) started to crack around the holes after about 3/4 track days and I now use Brembo HC. I don't notice any difference in performance but they don't crack and are half the price.

Prior to hitting this combination I was considering fitting mk3 calipers but it's totally unnecessary in my opinion. I can lock up hot R888Rs in the dry, what more do you need?

eddie ninja likes this.
  14. Cool. I started standard then EBC yellow (yea I know) and did braided lines/better fluid and did the front fog delete/vent to brakes.
    Been on track once since all this and had no brake fade/over heating and stopping was sufficient but loads of dust and don’t think will get many more Td’s out the EBC so maybe a false economy so thinking of the almost twice as expensive ds1.111s. My discs have been fine.

15. It's John Burley off Facebook who does the kit. It's top quality!

16. How do I find the correct John Burley?

Any guide on the cost of the brackets?