Uprated fuel system?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by rTEM, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Do you have the part number of the part you have ordered ???
    Looking at Catcar you will need a pressure relief valve, but the fuel rail one has to be a 3.5bar one

2. I did have it written down but can't find the paper it's written on :relaxed:

I've got the rail itself and the regulator.

3. if you have ordered the rail and the regulator, then all you need is the one that fits in the fuel tank

4. I hope this is right lol.

Attached Files:

5. Looks good to me :sunglasses:

6. I assume I'll need to sort the in tank pump out before I fit this?

I'm booked in for mapping next week but I don't think the fuel line/pump etc will have any affect on that.

7. You can fit it and not do the pump and tank relief valve, but you will then not have the rising rate fuel setup, if you do the pump and pressure relief valve later you will have to get the map tweaked.

If you do the pump and PRV pull off the small pipe from the fuel rail PRV and block the end off with a screw, then it can be reconnected when on the dyno.

8. Hmm, didn't think any of this would play a part in the mapping tbh!

There's no way I'll get it done for Thursday so I'll have to get the map tweaked at a later date.

I'll have a chat with Chris and see what he recommends.

Your forged set up has me seriously considering getting another engine to start playing with!

9. Standard injectors are good for about 260-270 as the fuel pressure drops, 3.5bar fuel pressure at the injectors and 1.5bar boost then only gives you 2bar at the injector, rising rate fuel set up will let you keep 3.5bar so the injectors spray properly and don't have to run at 110% duty.

For a map tweak, Chris only charges £100 if he's already mapped it.

Forging will make sure it can take the abuse :laughing::laughing: depending if it's done right :cry:

10. I've got some 630 injectors to throw in when I get there so by all accounts it'll be in the region of 280-300bhp.

Pretty sure this engine is on it's way, gives off a bit of smoke from time to time but the compression seems good and consistent across all 4. It'll be more of a project to keep me occupied tbh and hopefully more reliable.

11. might be the turbo seals on the way out then.

does it smoke on first start up ??
    or after running down a hill with no throttle and then a bit of smoke when you hit the accelerator ???

12. Better not be, turbo is brand new! The old turbo was completely knackered, smoked so bad I got black flagged at anglesey last time out lol.

It's really intermittent tbh, not sure if it's an oil leak that's somehow getting sprayed up onto the air filter or somehow getting into the intake? I do have a couple of leaks so it's a possibility.

13. was it oil getting on the exhaust or from the exhaust ??

14. Pretty sure it was from the exhaust, but I've barely used it since doing all the work so it's still burning all the crap off from various penetration fluids etc.

It smells clean and doesn't seem to be chugging out smoke on the move like it was, just a little puff the other day whilst my mate reversed it out the mot station.

It may even be some residual oil in the intake from the old turbo? Its probably done 100 miles since the work, if that.

15. okay, sounds like it needs a good thrash to clear it out :laughing::laughing:

16. Yeah I'm a little weary about giving it a prolonged thrashing right now, it's hitting 1.8 bar boost before dropping to 1.5 which doesn't seem right.

Roll on Thursday :grin:

17. Chris will get it sorted for you, my mk2 was a hoot after he worked his magic

Agreen likes this.
  18. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

how much was the rail?

19. Rail and regulator were 250 from Renault.

I did find one in a breakers for 180 but they sounded a bit dodgy.

20. Ouch, i managed to get mine from a Renault breakers, i only wanted the intake manifold and the fuel rail along with the injectors came with it, think it was only £45.

21. Yeah you got really lucky I think Ian!

22. Still got abit of smoke, need to deduce whether it's on boost etc or overrun. Pretty sure it's valve seal damage tbh.

Still ran 300bhp at efi today lol.

I may start stripping an engine to get ready to swap and leave the fuel rail for that.

23. 300hp sounds good, bet it drives better now.

That sounds like a good plan, if you need any advice just shout, you need to move one of the securing lugs on the fuel rail for it to fit the 225/r26 intake manifold.

24. The madness of the previous map has gone lol! Don't get me wrong, it was god fun, but it would've been undriveable on track!

I think beginning to rebuild a spare engine is the way to go. Maybe forged rods and pistons but in all honesty, I'd be looking for a reliable build not a crazy power job!

Much appreciated Ian, no doubt I'll be picking your brains soon enough!

25. That why i have forged mine, mainly for reliability and more power later if i want :smile:

So what torque was it making before and what does it have now ???

Chris did my 225 (250 engine) pulled strong from 2k through to 7400rpm, even in 5th it would pull really well from 2k rpm, that was with a 20t hybrid though

26. 20200220_151334.jpg

ianplymouth likes this.
  27. Nice torque curve, he likes making them smooth :laughing::laughing:

Agreen likes this.
  28. It was just lightning the wheels up before hand, touch the throttle even slightly too hard and it'd just spin! Way more controllable now!

I smacked the limiter hard in 4th earlier, thought I'd blown the damn thing! Not used to it pulling all the way to the limiter lol!

Injectors were more than maxed out too, everything in the safe zone with the 630cc

29. What rev limit has he put on ?????
    I doubt it has gone up much due to not being forged

30. Still 6.5kish I think.

Could pull for longer but it's not forged, burning a bit of oil and could have been running the mental map for years! It's amazing its still alive really lol!!

31. Slight smoking will keep the upper cylinder lubricated :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Its a big job to do them, i would leave it and concentrate on building up another engine, after doing the stem seals on one engine i would pull out the engine to do the next one, it was such a ball ache to get to the bolts for the turbo, manifold bolts, heat shields etc, in the end i pulled out what was left a sat comfy reassembling it on the floor.

32. Yeah, just swapping the turbo was pretty ruthless! Taking the head off etc in place would just be insanity, there's just no way I'd even attempt it!

Going to start looking for a new engine soon.

ianplymouth likes this.
  33. I think I very nearly became a victim of the detonation issue at Anglesey today!

A few different people were saying not to bother with the 250 set up etc which started to get me thinking, then I hadn't noticed my fuel was a little over the red when I had a serious and instant misfire/hesitation! Luckily, I was on a cool down lap and moving out of the way when it happened so light throttle, otherwise, it could've been nasty!

Added fuel and didn't have a problem again! Can only assume it was the dreaded low fuel issue.

34. The trouble with the mk2 fuel tank is that the pick up is on the drivers side, so on right hand corners the fuel goes to the left, if you ever get to drive around Spa, you will need to keep at least a 1/3rd on a tank just to stop it cutting out.

Its not the cutting out that's the problem, it's the lack of fuel at number 1 cylinder when at full throttle, so it runs lean for a long time.

35. Exactly how mine melted a piston. Fast long right turn and quarter a tank fuel.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

36. I got another intake manifold yesterday, so the plan is to get everything set up on that before transferring it to the engine.

Not sure where I'm going to get the clip for the fpr on the fuel rail though!

37. Its only a wire clip, i'm sure you could use either and "R" clip or say a long split pin.

Do you want me to take a pick of mine for you, i'm down the workshop again in the morning.

38. Yeah that would be awesome, a couple of measures on it too and I'll find something similar!

39. okay will do

40. Agreen likes this.