Upper engine mount position

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ChrisC, May 17, 2014.

1. So while the car is in the air I thought I'd have a go at the engine mount and stabiliser.
    I've got it all changed over, was relatively simple.

But I noticed there is quite a bit of backwards and forwards movement when you've took the weight off the mount using the jack, now if I remember right on the Cliosport forum when you do the mount on there I remember they say pull the engine and the mount further forward.
    Is this the same case on these?

Basically I just want to know what the correct/best position of it all should be?

What has everyone else done when changing your mount, or what are you supposed to do?

Chris

2. Anybody have any tips on this?

Was going to have a look at giving it a move tomorrow or Friday if it needs moving

3. I newer read of such a mod on any megane.
    Ps. Top mount is on the left side of the engine looking at it under the bonnet (right side of the car) on the engine it is a triangular shaped thingy and than it goes under some plastic panels for the rest of the mount.

4. If you've got engine movement are you sure the main mount bolt hasn't snapped, done mine twice now and it's a common fault, this will cause the problem with the stableising mount

5. I've never heard of pulling the engine forward on the clios, I certainly didn't do it on my 172 when replacing the mounts and it's fine.

I can only assume some people suggest doing that to bring the manifold away from the bulkhead a bit as they quite commonly
    knock together on gearchange. Not a problem I'm aware the megs suffer from?

6. Pulling the Clio engine forwards was indeed in an effort to prevent the manifold hitting the subframe. More of an issue on the 182, I believe, too.

7. Yer that was the one, there was a guide on there about it. I think it was mostly the 182 he issue was with.

Definitely no issues with bolts etc though, all mounts are now new and I checked all bolts over and had a nosey around in general when doing the job.
    But after thinking about it now and what you've said Steve I think I'm just being an utter retard lol.
    I may have forgot about the stabiliser mount, so theoretically I suppose you can't get the position wrong to a degree otherwise the stabiliser won't line up with the bolt holes.
    I'll double check it tonight when I get home and make sure I'm not being super special. And just make sure all is solid where it needs to be
    It was when I was trying to do a million other jobs at the same time (easy to forget the small details lol)

8. was it a geniune mount. there should be no movement really

with clios it was 172 as 182 had the manifold going on passed the subframe

9. It wasn't s genuine mount, it was a Febi mount.

I checked the whole set up over on thurs last week, there is definitely no issues with bolts.
    And there is definateley a little movement, it's not any play/movement in the mount itself. It's actual engine movement, so it's like there's elongated holes on the mount and it allows you to pull engine and mount forward or move back a little, only around 7ish mm. So it's not a lot.

Before fitting the new mount I compared the original and the hole positions and sizes on the mount it's self was identical. And you also get the same engine movement with the original mount.

ive got plenty of pics of the mounts before fitment, old against new. I can always get a vid too if that's any help to people, it doesn't take long to slacken it all off and jack the engine a touch.
    I mean it's not an actual problem with any of the mounts, it's just purely engine positioning I was curious with and where is best to position it before tightening the mount up in that position.

10. center mate i think a video might be best as im not to sure what your talking about