275 Updated clutch or not

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Dave wood, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Whilst I have got the front end of the car completely stripped and the battery box out etc I am thinking of replacing the clutch to a paddle type and lightened fly wheel but is it worth the £1k ish upgrade running 360bhp and a similar torque had no problems with the existing so far but is it just waiting to happen at these figures only used for track thanks for your feedback

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I was running a standard clutch with 388hp with no problem, even when it was on the rollers at 400hp there wasn't any signs of it slipping.

Dave wood likes this.
  3. Thanks for your reply but do you have any experience of the lighter flywheel and is the upgrade worth the £1k

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I had one in my 225, i never got the engine management light like a good few say they have.
    Didn't have one for my 265 so sorry i can't say if it's worth it or not.

My R26 has a Helix clutch kit in it, it's not a paddle plate just a spring plate, all i can say with that is the peddle is a lot harder to push, feels good but heavy.

Dave wood likes this.
  5. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

My car is 350/350 with the standard Renault clutch with no problems after 5k of mainly track use, if I were you I’d change the clutch and slave with standard Renault stuff while it’s all apart.

Dave wood likes this.
  6. I actually would recommend fitting an uprated clutch my newish factory clutch was slipping ever so slightly at 360/360
    also would recommend clutch replacement damper cable and of course new slave
    those dual friction RTS clutch plates are v impressive
    tinyurl.com/trcyhrd1

Dave wood likes this.
  7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Torque kills them not the power.

RTS looks an ideal solution for a decent upgrade

bobsan likes this.
  8. Stay well clear from anything ‘lightened’. Double mass flywheel only if you don’t want the gearbox to sound like it’s gonna grenade itself.

Sachs do an uprated one aswell, better (organic) friction material with standard pressure plate. I’ve never heard any feedback on the RTS clutches, and the main seller of them (KAM racing) doesn’t seem to have a clue about them either.

But tbh, the standard Renault clutch should be fine at that torque!

manugtt likes this.
  9. The RTS notably more efficient than soft factory clutch. With stronger clapping force and better bite it launches car with greater sense urgency yet not as violent as race clutch so also fine in start/stop traffic. Like many things reno should have fitted this as standard

10. Hi bobsan did you fit the upgraded clutch to your car? I'm looking for a new clutch. how different is it to OE clutch? I would like the same characteristics but with ability to manage more torque.

11. that RTS clutch is perfect, more bite than factory unit, lasts longer yet still easy in traffic, v well designed bit kit

12. I run the RTS clutch with dmf, Drives fine similar to oem. Torque is only 340ft/lb on my setup but no issues at that.