Underpowered megane

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TomSladen, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Might be a bit of a long one this so will try and keep it as short as possible.

Bought my car last year and it can with a print out for 260bhp and 259lbft torque.
    So from this the power looks spot on for a stage 1 generic map. But the torque seems a little low in comparison to other stage 1 style maps.

Last month I took it to the rolling road day at efi parts and it made 234bhp and 258bhp.

What could this be down to? Chris at efi said it seems to be massively over fueling. Could this be down to injectors? Boost leak? Bad map? Timing?

Car has intercooler, forge boost pipes, ram air filter. Spark plugs are brand new and were fitted a few days before the rr day.

Next up for my car is decat and also getting a new map put on at either Unicorn or rstuning.

I'm just wondering if there is anything that anyone else could think of.

Cheers guys :smile:

2. Bad map surely? Where was it done?

The other possible reasons you mention would have other symptoms I'd have thought, especially injectors and timing.

I'd be getting the decat and new map as soon as possible there.

3. Was mapped in 2011 so has had that map for nearly 5 years with no I'll effect. I think it's been mapped to be as safe as possible. Was done at a place called noble Motorsport.

4. did you get a AFR reading ? Running rich is safer

5. I know someone who has his evo mapped there, think the guys called Daz. By all accounts he's quite good, got over 650 bhp on the evo,it gets constant abuse and is reliable apart from killing gearboxes.

6. Theres safe then there is silly safe which is pointless to be mapped to

7. O2 Sensor!
    Plug a plug and check for white power or burn marks.

8. Unplug a plug?

9. I think Peter is referring to removing one of the spark plugs and checking for the deposits on it.

10. That looks like a poor map to me.
    I base this on my own personal experience of almost the same issue.

I also have a AFR printout with HP. We have very similar figures.

RED is the old , green was the new ( at the time ! ) map

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Andy you just had the map taken off and a new map put on?

12. At that time yes.

I ran the car on a dyno dymanics roller independent of any tuner. I recieved figures almost exactly the same as the ones above which were done at RST.

I asked for it to be corrected and a new map was installed , and again dyno'd

13. Oops.
    Sorry for the stuff up. Thats what happens when the wife calls you for dinner and you rush off and don't check your typing.

Ok what I actually meant was to remove your spark plugs and have a look at the condition of them. If they appear to be whitish and kind of powdery you might have a overfueling issue, which will cause over fueling and loss of power. Which could be caused by a faulty O2 sensor.