Under bonnet advice needed

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jev, May 22, 2019.

1. Jev

Jev

Hi,

I am looking to buy Megane RS 250/265... I have already viewed several cars and they all were with a similar problem (not really sure if it is a problem). Both cars had 'copper tint' on the internals under the oil top-up cap (please see image). As well as some oil with air bubbles in the pipes going from the top of the engine to sort of can or valve, looks like crankcase ventilation or similar(please see attached image). Is that normal? And what other things to check before buying used Megane RS?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Jev

Jev

Pipes are in this area:

Attached Files:

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Those pipes are fuel lines....

4. Jev

Jev

Are you sure? As it looks like an oil inside, it doesn't look like fuel. Is that a can that they goes to is a return valve? Why then they are with air bubbles? Is that a return flow?

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The one with the grey plug is definitely the fuel supply line, since it goes to the pressure reg :wink:

Other one is a breather IIRC

6. What ever is inside that pipes looks very dark, even on my diesel they are clear yellow tint colour not black.

surprising for a fuel car?

7. Jev

Jev

Yes you are right. It looks like pipes are going to the fuel vapour breather valve. But I am more suprised that they are full of oil looking liquid. It doesn't look like it is fuel or fuel vapours. Never owned Megane RS, that is why I am asking. Ad I haven't seen something similar on my Focus ST. As well as internals are all shiny and clean without 'copper tint'.

8. Jev

Jev

Yes. As I have mentioned in the comment above, it looks unusual compared to my Ford Focus ST. As I never owned Megane RS, i am not sure if that is normal or not. Having an oily substance with air bubbles in the pipes as well as 'copper tint' on the internals.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The pipes themselves are black [emoji23]

tof73 likes this.
  10. Ok then it isn't a bubble you can see but dirt on the pipe...:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

-Jamie- likes this.
  11. Everything looks normal to me to be honest.

-Jamie-, Jev and tof73 like this.
  12. Jev

Jev

No. The one that on the top is black and non-transparent. The one that on the bottom with bubbles is actually transparent and the air bubble are actually inside that pipe. I have seen some pictures on the web with that pipe clean and transparent. It is not 100% transparent it is just slightly tinted.

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's definitely black on mine and every other MK3 I've seen and been around...

14. On the OP's picture you can see the transparency though. It's interesting as I've also never seen such a thing. Breather hose, fuel line, whatever, I've never seen a transparent one on any modern car other than on aftermarket catch cans and such.

15. Jev

Jev

I haven't seen many Meganes under the bonnet, but both Megane RS I have viewed in the past two weeks had the same transparent pipes with black liquid with bubbles in it. First was RS 250 2010 Cup Edition and totally knackered, that is why I haven't paid attention. But the second one was RS 265 2013 with Cup package and was just like new from inside and outside, that is why it suspicious to me. I am going to test drive the second one tomorrow. I will take more pictures.

16. Jev

Jev

Yes. I have seen lot's of cars as well as my friend who previously used to work in a garage never seen transparent pipes with dark substance inside. Normally transparent pipes for fuel lines, but it doesn't look like it is fuel.

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I've had to buy both those lines brand new after a fire incident. Definitely black plastic hoses.

18. It goes to the carbon cannister purge valve on the turret.

19. Although those pipes look like there’s bubbles in them it’s just illusion the pipes are completely dry inside

20. Jev

Jev

Is that assumption or statement? I will check them later on today.

21. Jev

Jev

Yes, you are right. Next step is to find out if that actually bubles and oily stuff in them or not and if that is normal or not. I will check later on today.

22. Fact

23. Rule number 1 of megane club.
    Never open megane bonnet lol

Marc.366 and Mircea like this.
  24. Jev

Jev

I have finally bought that Megane RS. And yes, everyone was right and wrong at the same time. The pipe is actually made of two pipes one inside another. The one that inside is none transparent and the outer is actually transparent and I suppose that the moisture in between those pipes gives an illusion of something dark like oil is inside the pipe

TurboJ and HASLE like this.
  25. Congrats and good luck with the car! It's an awesome machine when everything is 100% and it should serve you well!

Jev likes this.
  26. Glad you did it enjoy it for now untill something goes:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

27. Jev

Jev

Thanks! I hope everything will be OK! It was well main.... , except the idiots in the garage I have bought it from (Car Store) that replaced all 4 nearly new genuine brake disks with some cheap ones and crap eicher brake pads.

28. Jev

Jev

Fingers crossed! I heard it is a quite robust and non-problematic car. I had no problems with my previous Focus ST, I hope this one will be the same. I have serviced it on Thursday and it looks pretty good. No oil leaks or etc.. The only thing that worries me, is clicking noise in the gearbox. On idle or when setting off on first gear or on the reverse. But I found some posts saying it is normal for this car. As I was thinking it could be due to bad clutch release bearing or just LSD noise.

29. Having experience with both Ford and Renault, I wouldn't say Renault is the worst of the two brands quality-wise. People perceive some brands to be better than they are and some to be worse than they are... Reliability-wise the Megane RS mk3 strengths are its engine and bodywork, weaknesses are suspension bushes/joints and electrics. But it's all relative and the weaknesses IMHO are more easily rectified than those you get with "premium" brand cars. I'd much rather replace some drop links and track rod ends than engines and gearboxes if you know what I mean :smile:

Anyway, good luck with the car and do take good care of it - it will reward you for it!

30. i suspect the noise you are referring to is the ABS test when first moving off.
    Although this is a secession of quick `thumps`...not clicking.