Ultra Red Megane R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by MATTG, Nov 30, 2021.

1. After having no end of issues with my MK5 GTi, I sent it to the auction and purchased an Ultra Red Megane 2 R26 in late September 2021. This photo is from the day i collected it
    purchase Day.jpeg

2. Welcome Matt

3. From here on i will update more regularly and with photos if i remember, Sorry in advance for the essay.
    From my purchase date i have:
    • Replaced the thermostat as the car was running about 5-10 degrees cooler than it should have.
    • Changed oil and filter and installed magnetic plug
    • Soldered on the correct number plate light plug and installed LED units
    • Removed door handle and badge caps that looked worse for wear
    • Sourced a new (to me) boot floor parcel shelf and centr console trim as these were missing
    • Changed the interior lights to LEDs
    • Replaced the gearbox oil with Motul
    • Restored the headlights
    • Replaced the drivers side fog light as this had been smashed.
    • Cleared the scuttle drains as i was getting wet passenger floor, replaced scuttle with a replacement from a scrapyard as mine had been cut.
    • Replaced the window module and regulator, soundproofed the door skin whilst it was apart. I still do not have the ability to raise windows in go so suspect i may need to replace the controller plug.

4. Thankyou

5. Over the last few days i have replaced the steering wheel cover on the car, i am not a fan of the original, it was looking quite tired and it hadn't been installed particularly well. i opted for full black Alcantara with no 12'o clock stripe and used red thread. it took quite a few hours but i am very happy with the outcome. Original.jpg
    Original Cover
    Retrim front.jpg
    Retrim Front
    Retrim rear.jpg
    Retrim Rear

6. Hi and welcome to the club Matt

7. welcome along and nice work, where did you get the LED plate lights as i need to change mine but not sure which one to take, so many foreign rubbish!

8. Welcome to the club Matt! Looking forward to your updates.

Have you got a link for the LED interior bulbs ? Keep meaning to change mine but unsure which ones I need.

9. Hello and welcome

10. I used these bulbs in white:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32861963336.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4c5a4c4dk0hxg9
    This covers every interior bulb aside from the glove box which is different. they are decently bright with no flickering or weirdness
    Here is a pic of how they look on: IMG_20211202_194039.jpg

Matt9566 likes this.
  11. I went for these without much research as I was ordering parts from the site and they were a good price: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/abakus/14123902
    The build quality isn't amazing (not sure others will be much better though), but the light output is pretty good, pic for reference IMG_20211202_194113.jpg

12. I finished work earlier today so managed to find time to give her a wash and fit the key barrel cover to get rid of the horrible yellow? one that was on there. nice to have the handles one colour despite it being different shades. I plan to get some painted body colour when I get the R26R wing I bought on black friday painted.
    IMG_20211202_140056.jpg
    Old key barrel cover
    IMG_20211202_140131.jpg
    New key barrel cover

13. This week i made a start at replacing all the engine mounts, i managed the RH mount and added a powerflex black series insert and the top mount. Both have definitely seen better days, gear shifts are much better now. lower and gearbox mount still to be replaced IMG_20211205_132613.jpg
    Old RH mount
    IMG_20211205_132622.jpg
    New RH mount
    IMG_20211205_142638.jpg
    Old and New Top Mounts

14. This week I finally got round to putting my plate on including about an hour of removing old plate adhesive.
    IMG_20211211_122254 (2).jpg
    and also replaced the mount on top of the gearbox which had a bit of wear but nothing like the others (probably due to the reduced strain due to the mount style) I did a bit of tidying whilst there, cleaned the chassis legs and brake fluid reservoir and replaced some bolts for the intake shroud that were incorrect.
    IMG_20211212_155250 (2).jpg
    Finally I replaced the cabin filter that looked like it had been in the car for a while
    IMG_20211211_105902 (2).jpg

manugtt, Andrewa and Ian Hughes like this.
  15. Focussed my attention on the interior this week. the previous owner bonded some acrylic recaro logos on the seat bases that I wasn't a fan of. IMG_20211214_125422__01.jpg
    The drivers side had already broken and removing the acrylic removes the paint and leaves glue residue.
    IMG_20211214_143823.jpg
    IMG_20211214_125426__01.jpg
    I sanded both mounts down, etch primed, painted, applied the decal ( I went for the R26 #xxxx style as I think they look the smartest) and laquered over the top, Finished result: not perfect but a definite improvement!
    IMG_20211214_203011__01.jpg

Jamie Steer, manugtt and tof73 like this.
  16. Amazing man! Looks great:wink:

17. I noticed recently that the lower rivets on my clutch pedal plate had broken so the metal cover was not secure and made a hideous noise if my foot rubbed against the side of it. IMG_20211228_115619.jpg
    drilled the rivets out and removed the plate. the paint flaked off of the pedal so sanded primed and painted IMG_20211228_124258.jpg
    Before
    IMG_20211228_125446.jpg
    After
    And the dimples on the pedal plate had been worn completely flat so I used a countersunk bolt, a matching countersunk washer, and a hammer to re-add the dimples to the plate. This picture was after I had dimpled the middle row: IMG_20211228_123151.jpg
    Finally a quick clean up and rivet back on: IMG_20211228_130632.jpg

iyrix, Ian Hughes, Brigsy and 2 others like this.
  18. after a few weeks without working on the car i decided to get my car ready for its MOT at the end of the month,
    I got a new set of Michelin PS4 for the front as i was just above the wear bars and finally replaced the rear headlight level sensor arm with a universal metal replacement as the original one kept detaching, the new one has a spring retainer as well as a locking pin so is much more secure. was a very easy install, it only required long nose pliers to remove the old parts and 2 10mm spanners to install the new parts. (hopefully my headlights will be a better height now) IMG_20220116_165418.jpg

19. where you get these from.?..everyones arms always fall off!

20. Been a while since my last post;
    Purchased some Gtechniq C4 trim restorer in an attempt to have a decent finish on the plastic trims that lasts. have done all except rear bumper inserts. i will probably wait till i have to have the rear bumper off to do it propoerly. will update on the longevity in due course
    IMG_20220329_211150.jpg
    A picture of some of the trims post treatment IMG_20220322_131022.jpg
    A before and after of B pillar trims

I also previously attempted to replace the subframe cheeks as mine were a bit crusty but discovered that a lot of the riv-nuts on the lower radiator support were spinning. So i purchased another lower rad support and it came also with spinning riv-nuts so i drilled them out and refitted new ones with a dab of Loctite, i also gave the cheeks a few coats of lacquer in an attempt to stop them going crusty as quickly
    IMG_20220329_175613.jpg
    Old bits.
    IMG_20220329_175616.jpg
    New bits.
    IMG_20220330_123029.jpg
    Installed.
    And with the sub frame cheeks sorted i took her in to get a new cam belt, water pump and aux belt

I also replaced the bulbs in the headlight to get rid of the very yellow side light bulb and improve the performance of my high beams and get rid of the orange indicator bulbs. i polished the lenses whilst the lights were out to get the spots i missed by previously doing it with them installed
    IMG_20220330_163151.jpg
    IMG_20220330_163146.jpg
    old bulbs vs new bulbs
    Hard to capture in the photographs but the light color matches the xenon much closer and light output is increased massively. plus the silver indicator bulbs reduce the orange visible in the headlight housing

Will try to post more regularly again in the future to avoid mega posts

21. Not really kept to my promise of updating regularly, so small spam inbound.
    Recently got a few bits painted on the Meg, this included the Ktec R26.r spoiler I bought in the black Friday sale (body colour) a set of door handles I got painted body colour. two rims with curbing were sprayed and finally the chipping behind the passenger door and on the rear arch were rectified. i will be going back to get the driver side done in the future
    IMG_20220520_193245.jpg
    Drivers side rear arch still to paint and before handles changed
    IMG_20220520_193255.jpg
    After: Body matched door handles, painted rear arch and wheels + painted r26.R spoiler fitted

Jamie Steer and matt e like this.
  22. when previously replacing my lower rad support I noticed the AC condenser had fallen apart and that my radiator was also weeping from the lower passenger side corner:worried: new condenser from ECP for £21:hushed: some new seals and bolts
    IMG_20220415_105406.jpg
    Old vs new condenser
    As well as a new Valeo radiator.
    IMG_20220505_204759.jpg
    Old vs new radiator
    whilst doing this I flushed the coolant and replaced with Renault stuff as was last filled with pink coolant.
    I also replaced all of the intercooler hose clamps as the existing ones looked a bit tired (no pics, sorry)
    Aircon got re-gassed and is now blowing ice cold

matt e likes this.
  23. **Penultimate post of spam**
    Finally got round to fitting some universal car mat clips to stop the ktec mats working up under the pedals.

This involved working out where the posts would work in the floor before marking and cutting a hole in the mats. assembling the clips and screwing in the post. pretty painless and im chuffed with the results IMG_20220517_190359.jpg
    Cut Holes
    IMG_20220517_192347.jpg
    Assembled Clip
    IMG_20220517_193445.jpg
    Installed posts
    IMG_20220517_191830.jpg
    Final Result

Bob Thompson and matt e like this.
  24. ** Final spam post**
    since ownership drivers headlight has had the projector shroud loose inside the headlight and a broken bottom mount causing a saggy bumper.
    A grey insert OS xenon came up on ebay so i took the plunge.
    when it arrived it turned out it had been used without the dust cover on :pensive: so had a lot of insects and dust inside the unit as well as needing a refurb. IMG_20220421_175926.jpg
    :After just a wipe over
    IMG_20220423_203452.jpg
    After a lens refurb, various methods of insect and dust removal+ new bulbs looking pretty good
    IMG_20220528_013830.jpg
    fitted and looking much better than previous

Brigsy, tof73, danmc_82 and 3 others like this.
  25. MATTG likes this.