Tyres or the drive?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by matt2190, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Had my car about a week now and 99% of driving has been wet roads. This is the first car I have had with anywhere near this much power and wheel spin is quite an issue.

So wondering is it my driving technique and I just need to get used to feathering in the power better or are my tyres awful? I can wheel spin through 2nd gear and foot to the floor in 3rd will get the TC light flashing as well.

Tyres are Toyo Proxes 4's.

2. Theres alot of factors to think about other than just being wet. What was the road surface like? How much tread are left on the tyres? Were the tyres cold or warmed up? etc.

Theres no simple answer unfortunately so the easy option is just "dont floor it" :tongueout:

3. But at the same time, decent tread depth and better tyres will hevea difference!

4. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I have just put some new tyres on mine and the grip when putting the power down is much better. Less wheel spin and now ESP light.

Also from experience, those toyo tyres are shocking. They won't be helping with anything.

5. Check if the front of the car lifts when flooring it - if so it might be worth changing your shocks (and springs). I've just changed mine and the difference when under full throttle is massive. It's totally eradicated the torque steer and the car feels solid.

6. Might give a set of decent tyres a go on the front. Its annoying as the tyres look to be practically brand new. Looking at the Goodyear eagle F1's. Seems to be good all rounded and rated well in the wet.

7. Power + wrong wheel drive never leads to much in the way of accelerative grip.

8. Will.

I just took the Goodyear Eagle F1's off and put ContiContactSport5s on. Much better grip but the thing I found to be improved the most was the ride. With the Goodyears, the ride was very harsh, and I felt a lot of the road surface. Conti's have improved this and is a lot smoother.

9. On the other side, I had f1's fitted to my 225 cup and loved them, and have 4 ready to fit to my 250! Them or the conti's should be better than the Toyo though.

10. Mines not a cup so its a bit softer anyway. Looking at reviews the F1's are currently my first choice still.

11. If you know a fitter, funky tyres do them delivered for about £113!

12. What size is that in Mr T ?

13. 235/40/18, for all cup/cupped and r26's :smile:

14. Wonder how much for 235 35 19s for my black Steevs, paid around £160 last time

15. Will.

225's are just fine as well. Had them on my 225 F1 for a year now.

16. 225 was the fitment for non cup models, obv you can run it, but I'd prefer to stick to the extra bit of rubber!

17. I'd go with 255/35/18 but they're more expensive.

18. You've answered your own question.

'Foot to the floor in third' is always going to start slipping the wheels on a wet road in these cars. I've had Pirelli P Zero, Pilot Super Sport and Hankook V12's on the front of my Megs and they've been the same if I give it a bootful (which is rare cos what's the point).

19. I am on Dunlop sp sport maxx and when the tyres are cold I will always get some tc on full throttle in third. Even when you get them really warmed up, it will still want to slip on white lines and undulations.

in other words, perfectly normal for these cars. you just need to work the throttle a bit smoother :smile:

20. Not been so bad today. Think the jump from a big mondeo with a 1.8 petrol that you had to gun to get it moving might be half my isssue haha.