Tyres, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Gavin., Jan 21, 2018.

1. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Been using Kuhmo Ecsta PS91's up front, had to replace one after about two months due to a bulge in the sidewall, noticed the replacement tyre now also has a bulge in the side wall on the same wheel. I wont be getting another! Any recommendations that wont cost me the earth?

Will only be for road use, not on track.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Hard to look past PS4's if you want the ultimate grip, Particularly wet weather performance.

if your not wanting to spend that much the Yoko V105's get good feedback

James275 and Gavin. like this.
  3. PS4 tyres fitted to mine, amazing grip in the dry and wet. Wear pretty well too. PS4S are another step up again, only 19” up though, replace the old super sports which were immense!

Gavin. likes this.
  4. PS4's all the way. Great all round tyre
    with exceptional traction.

5. Vredesteins :tearsofjoy:

Gavin. likes this.
  6. Absolutley highly recommend avon zz5 .they are an incredible tyre and epic all rounder. Used them on a trackday in varying conditions and where faultless.
    Very resonable price also

Gavin. likes this.
  7. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

The central reservation of the m6 says fuck off :tearsofjoy:

8. Hankook Noble S2 great tyre.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

9. No one tried Goodyear Asymetric 3's?

10. I've got Asymmetric 2s and they are very good.

11. in these crap all year round rain conditions.
    .you cant go to far wrong with Rainsport 3`s,if you are on a budget.
    My mate has them on his 360hp integra turbo ,and they cope..

12. Rainsport 3's are megga in the wet, good on dry roads, but get overheated quite quickly on a dry race track.

13. They didn't score well in the Evo tyre test. I put assy 2s on my 182 and they were really soft, felt a bit sloppy (different car I know -)

14. :grinning:
    absolutely..but seeing as it fkn rains almost everyday in this country..they are not a bad shout.:grinning:

15. Neither are Federal 595RS-r's in the wet, as long as there is a good amount of tread :sunglasses:

16. think he wants a road tyre mate..hes not looking for track work.
    £79 inc vat, 235 tyre for rainsport 3`s

Gavin. likes this.
  17. i hated them on the front of my R26(assy 2`s)..no turn in.
    they where ok on the back,but a couple of times snap over steered when stone cold.

18. I run them on the road nearly all the time now, the only time is if it is absolutely pissing down and on a wet track :smile:

19. Fair enough. I have had them on a few fast Fords and I have to say I loved them. Good handling etc but also loved the fact they were super quiet!

20. i have goodyear eagle f1`s on my wifes swift sport,and they are brilliant on that particular car.

21. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Make that three, yes three! tyres that have all failed in the same way, a bulge on the side wall, three tyres since 01/05/17. What the hell is that all about! Noticed one of the drivers side today.

22. Wheres them prices from buddy. Ive got somesrandom shite on the front (double blow out in the middle of nowhere) 120 quid each. But hey he had me by the short and curlys so had no choice lol

23. camskill

24. quality control seems non-existent on these `lesser` brands.
    my mates federal rsr`s tread came off in big strips!

Gavin. likes this.
  25. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

I'll give these Rainsports a try then, hopefully the side walls are stronger :tearsofjoy:

26. I have had at least 5 sets of 595 RS-r's not had a problem with them breaking up

27. Well he certainly did!
    the tread was peeling away from the carcass after 1 track day..
    looked like someone had gone at them with a sharp knife.

This was when they first came on the scene..
    Had trouble getting refunded..but they did in the end.

28. 25 quid each more than the rainsport..100 notes extra.
    I would go with the Yokohamas at £114 each if you are going premium.

29. well the side wall stiffness will be lesser than a pure sports tyre,so dont expect class leading grip in the dry.
    they are excellent though in the fkn awful UK constant wet weather,that seems to have been non stop since xmas!

30. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

I can’t believe I’ve had three Kumhos Fail on the side wall, made me wonder if I’ve had them under inflated but they’re at 2.2 bar up front

31. certainly a nice waste of money..i hate it when i have to bin a expensive tyre with loads of tread left.

32. I also had 3 Kumho fail on the sidewall on my MPS, needless to say id sooner put ditch finders on than that shit ever again

Gavin. likes this.
  33. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

@JamesBryan beat you, pair of pricks [emoji23]

34. Anyone else finding ps4 wear rate terrible... After 3000 miles down to 5mm and that is very very sensible driving..

35. wearing even across the tread?

36. Yep 5mm right the way across... There again the original ps2 only lasted 15k..

37. conti 5p`s only lasted 6k on my R26!