Tyre size

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by ChrisA, May 19, 2019.

1. Looking at buying new set of tyres.

The standard size is 235/40/18 but has anyone jumped up a size and run with a 245/40/18?

Any positive or negatives that come across ?

The car is standard atm , but with remap and cooler I’ll be asking more of the front tyres so thinking wider tyre may offer more grip

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

On stock wheels?

I'd stick with a 235 on them

3. Yeh it’s the 18 tirbors

Just thinking when upping the power a wider tyre may abit with grip / traction?

4. wider not necessarily getting more grip in dry and certainly not in wet, stick with factory and fit good all-rounder like PS4 that can handle any tweeks in power

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd stick with 235s on the stock wheels

bobsan likes this.
  6. Ye stay 235. And you cant go wrong with PS4's. So much grip in wet and dry [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. Why? The Tibors are 8.25 and should be OK for 245 according to what I've read.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Because I've ran 245 on them and on Steev and they feel and look a lot better with 235s

9. 225, 235 and 245 all fit. 225s were standard on non-cups, 235 standard on cups. For road use 225 and 235 are both fine, 225 is the cheapest. 245 not worth the extra cost imo.

10. You don't think that on track the 245 has any advantages? (mine is on ast coilovers)

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not on a stock rim

12. OK, can you explain? Why a different rim would matter (I'm not talking about lighter rim)?

13. I'd imagine grip comes at a cost of increase in unsprung weight because it's a chunkier tyre. Plus you'd lose agility because the grippier tyres can't let the car rotate around corners quicker. Plus, because the grip increases, it'll snap much more violently. On top of that there'll be more movement in the tyre shape itself which will affect steering feel i'd imagine.

Happy to be proven wrong by someone who's actually tried them rather than my educated guesswork

14. He went for 235's in the end

15. All is correct, but valid also for replacing the rim with a wider one, and putting on it a wider tire. And this is a common thing people here do :smile: