Turbo whistle

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by adR26am, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Do other people get much sound when they're on boost? I don't think there's a problem with mine I just realised I have no real basis of comparison.

2. Because decat lol you on standard exhaust?

3. exhaust with backbox chop gets a slightly louder turbo whistle i think. Remove the mid box and the whistle goes.

4. It's not got a decat, but a 3" (I think, hope. Need to get the tape measure on it) Milltek catback with mid box chop. The air filter and box are standard, it has a Forge intercooler, blanking plate and dump valve.

It's not a whistle really, I don't know why I wrote that. It sounds like somebody made of metal taking a really fast, long, deep breath in.
    I quite enjoy changing gear shortly after it hits boost. Then it goes woosh, hiss, and if I'm lazy with the gearchange, pop pop pop.

5. Sounds about right Adam, prior to the decat and the induction kit my meg made similar noises, more noticeable with the seats down. The itg kit on mine is really loud on boost, coupled with the exhaust I can't hear much else lol. I'll let you drive mine the next time I'm not working weekends if you fancy a comparison.

6. I actually quite like the noise, I just feared it might have been an early sign of wear to the turbo. I need to get the car dyno'd for a health check really, all I have to go on is that it is faster than an Astra VXR and about the same as Golf R.

I'm about most week nights Corey, I often work weekends too but not the evenings. There are/were a few guys with Renaultsports who meet at the Tesco in Towcester but I haven't seen them for while. I'd be really interested to see what difference the SMF makes, the clutch is something I'm going to have to save for although it is not slipping since the weather warmed up.

7. Mine whistles quite loud and car is standard apart from a backbox chop but have nothing to compare it to so not sure if it has a boost leak or not :/

8. No problem mate will sort something out over the next week or so. Cars of to rstuning next Thursday for another map so will (hopefully) be running nicely for when you drive it.

9. Another? Stage II?

10. Yes mate, larger injectors and a map tweak to suit the 3"decat :smile: drive to work should be even more enjoyable.

11. Mine is totally standard mate and it whistles quite loudly too.

12. Not just me then .... slightly reassuring

13. all cars with standard exhaust have the whistle. its a really addictive noise :smile:
    remove the centre section or change the full exhaust and you will lose it. you will still have some turbo noise but not like the standard exhaust makes

14. Yeah mine has just the back box chop and the whistle is very loud! Was the same before I had the chop though to be fair.

15. Standard exhaust and the turbo whistle is so additive!

16. I do like the whistle. Do you get any pops/bangs with a backbox chop?

17. you do get pops with the backbox chop, even more with the mid box out

18. It's ine thing I miss with the 225 over my old LCR, you could proper hear the turbo on that. Even more so on the gt2871r (infact, that's all you could hear lol)