265 Turbo to downpipe - stud snapped

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by E-A, Aug 28, 2022.

1. E-A

E-A

Unfortunately I have lost two of the studs and the third is snapped. The snapped one is the one that's in the location which is hardest to reach. It´s snapped a bit inside the turbo thread.
    3" downpipe equipped with a 200 cell sports cat is fitted to the car.

My mechanic told me this is probably an turbo out job which is >8 hours and therefore rather expensive at the main dealer and I definately don´t want this to happen ever again!

Question, are there better and worse ways to solve this? Or just different ways.
    I'm interested to hear about your experiences and opinions.

1) Seems like my aftermarket downpipe is missing one bracked compared to the OEM and Cobra.
    I guess one way to solve this is to weld that bracket into the the downpipe but this seems easier said than done.

2) Use OEM studs and nuts and assume the ones that came with the aftermarket downpipe wasn't good enough for the task.

3) Drill all the way through the turbo and then maybe use M10 bolts?

4) Other options?

Downpipe fitted to the car
    Renault Megane RS -15 2020-07-22 van Loon Motorsport DP (2).jpg

Cobra
    Cobra-bracked-marked.jpg

2. E-A

E-A

OEM
    OEM-bracked.jpg

3. E-A

E-A

Just an update.
    My Meg is now fixed and hopefully this failure will never happen to me again.

In the end I took the car to a performace shop which did a great job I think.
    The mecanic took the turbo out, put new threads in. A new bracket was also welded into the downpipe to make it possible use the same attachment points as OEM downpipe. This shoud reduce stress on the studs holding turbo-downpipe together.
    He also noticed there was soot on the exhaust mainfold gasket which I think is pretty poor after just 30k miles (50.000 km) Gasket wasn´t cracked and the leakage didn´t look like it was that big. I hope I just had a bit of bad luck with mine and the new gasket lasts longer than 30k miles before it starts to leak.

A couple of pictures I was sent when car was in the shop, which I think is nice.
    IMG_49511.jpg IMG_49531.jpg IMG_4935.JPEG IMG_4938.JPEG IMG_4942.JPEG

BillyA and Jamie230 like this.