Turbo timer

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by not normal dan, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Anyone run a turbo timer in there Meg?

A lot of me pals with jap stuff and I just like the fact of being able to walk away and leave it running for a few minutes instead of sitting there like a pleb lol

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

This has been brought up before, Not needed and daft things. Just take it easy for the last mile or two instead of letting it sit idling with no airflow through it, not actually doing much to cool it down.

Plus they are a bit of a chav spec thing IMO.

3. It's nothing to do with letting the engine cool, it's about letting the turbo cool more so the exhaust housing!

The restriction on the Meg is the size of the exhaust housing outlet on the turbo! The pressure created by the restrictions of the exhaust gases generates a lot of heat

4. I had one on a jap motor, was built into the alarm. Only really used it a couple of times at car meets after hooning it and couldn't be bothered to sit in it. It also ran the fan.

Don't think my neighbours would of liked hearing it either,was a bit loud.

5. I had one on impreza many many years ago.

PITA.

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

My point still stands. It is going to be far more effective at cooling down driving it with airflow off boost.

Does the Mk2 not have an Aux cooler? I know the MK3 does that will kick in if you shut it down while it is still roasting to keep circulating the Oil/Water round the turbo.

Oh and they also make you look like a numpty IMO, Also worth mentioning that a lot of insurers won't cover you with one fitted, You are going to inform them, Yes?

7. Yes they have an aux cooler of which only circulates coolant and doesn't always run all depends on coolant temps, also that doesn't circulate oil as you suggest.

i spoke with Paul at RS about this an he also laughed at the fact that people think the aux cooler does the job of cooling the turbo down and also recommend leaving them idling for a few minutes, of which I've always done.

And yes thanks I insure all my modifications on my car.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I wasn't sure what it circulated hence i put both. I don't think i have ever sat in mine leaving it cooling on idle as i don't drive like a cunt right up to where I'm going. On TD's ill leave it for a bit idling but then temps are much, much higher than you will ever get on the road.

Anyway, Im not a fan of them, I think they are stupid things and are a chavs wet dream IMO. Whatever floats your boat

9. Just had a look at turbo timers on wikipedia, this extract sums it up well.

With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off.

10. So you had nothing constructive to add in the first place apart from the fact you don't like them?

My car sees regular track action and sprint days and this was the whole purpose of asking about them so I could leave the car knowing after a few minutes it'll shutdown.

As reference to the chavs wet dream it does exactly the same job as you sitting there letting it cool down so there's hardly anything chav about it.

You've clearly spat your dummy as I've come along with a little more knowledge then yourself

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Clearly haven't spat my dummy, I don't mind that you have came along with more knowledge.

Just FYI, Mine also sees a lot of track time and i have never felt the need for them.

I think the fact that there are not many, If any Meganes running them speaks volumes.

12. Not a popular mod on the Meganes ...

On a trackday you would be better doing a cool down lap anyway , not only to cool the turbo / engine but the brakes will be seriously hot too ..

Can't beat free flowing air cooling everything down

13. Tbh mate I do do a cool down lap, this was purely a question to see if anyone ran one and had any more info on what particular model etc

14. I thought one of the reasons for a turbo timer was to let the turbo spool down, if your turbo is still at 50,000rpm when you turn your engine off your cutting the oil supply to it and it's essentially running dry.

15. Last few miles take it easy and try and keep it off boost, air cooling and off boost is way more efficient at cooling the turbo plus I can start up a car without a key if it has a turbo timer in it, all my mates ditched them once I showed them how easy it is to nick a car with one fitted, pointless imo

16. Nmp

Nmp

What boardy said.

17. Modern cars don't need them hence why you only see them on old motors like R5 turbos ect... Just drive carefully for a few mins before shutoff.

18. What's different with something like an R5? The working principles of the turbo are still the same.

You turn the car off and the oil supply is cut to the turbo and what is there will just get cooked due to the heat of the core.

It's not a tuning product it's just a convenience.

19. very true..well spoken that man.
    I am suprised manufacturers havnt worked these into cars from the factory..i suppose alarm/immobilizer issues.

I also suspect that since the days of RS Turbos etc..oil technology has come on leaps and bounds, to help stay stable, under extreme heat conditions of a cooking turbo.

It would be nice though just to get out of the car and not worry about oil temps...i still sit there like a lemon for a few minutes after a hard run...its a force of habit after years of old school turbo cars!

20. The likes of HKS produce plug and play looms for stuff like evos and skylines etc that I assume work within conjunction of manufacturers ecu and immobiliser.

I don't think it would be hard to make so any touch of the brake pedal turned the car off by wiring up the feed from the brake light switch to kill the turbo timer

21. Don't Meganes have electronic water pumps for cooling the turbo?

22. This was talked about earlier in the thread.

23. Yeah they have an electronic pump of which only runs when coolant temps get high so this time of year you'll never hear it.

Also the pump doesn't get over the fact that the oil feed to the turbo is stopped once the engine is stopped and the oil doesn't have chance to cool which is the main issue

Also if you have been on boost the actual exhaust housing will need time to cool and the way to do that is by flow of exhaust gases at idle.