Turbo timer for 265?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by PTY265, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Hey guys just wondering if anyone here uses or recommends having a turbo timer installed.

Also do you guys just leave the engine idling for some time before turning the engine off? If so, for how long?

2. if its the same as the R26,then it has a system that flows coolant through the turbo when you switch off the engine.
    On the R26 you can hear the pump buzzing after a while,once the engine has been turned off.

3. I cant say I have noticed such buzzing sound after switching off, did hear once a fairly loud fan noise after switching off which was pretty weird, I attributed it to something regarding the aircon as I turned the engine back one and had left the aircon on.

Any fellow 250/265 owner care to chime in?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You do not need one, they are pointless and chavvy

5. So do you just switch off your engine when you have arrived at your destination or do you let it idle for a while. I've always understood that turbo engines should not be switched off right away.

Even the handbook on my defender says to let it idle for at least 10 seconds, so just want to make sure what is the norm with the RS

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just drive easy for the last mile or two, letting it sit idling is worse for it as it gets no cold air

7. This
    Just don't thrash it. If normal driving just switch off. It'll be fine

8. Ok thanks for the replies guys, It makes sense

9. I always let the car idle for at least a minute, and more usually 2mins having arrived somewhere before turning the engine off. You can probably get away with less time but id rather not have to replace my turbo for the sake of sitting in the car for a short while breathing off the adrenaline of the drive haha!

10. In 5 and a half years of R26 ownership I never did that once and the turbo was fine

11. I allow a few minutes of cool down if i have been driving hard or on longer trips...
    Had turbo timers in past on older fords...but wont be fitting one on the Meg.

its a Jap scene thing really :wink:

12. jajaj well what do you know, the friend that suggested I fit one is a jap car lover...

Anyways with all of the replies suggesting that its not even necessary to let it idle its safe to say the turbo timer question has been more than answered...

Now if I could get some replies in my wheel alignment post :smiley:

13. My 250 ticks when I turn the engine off. Assume this is a cooling thing, but you can only hear it when the bonnets open.

14. Think that's something to do with some breather pipe valve or something. RS handbook doesn't mention anything about running the turbo down.

15. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I don't think you need to on such a small turbo that the Megane has as standard unless you've just absolutely given it hell for a long period of time (track day). If seen a standard 250 turbo glow bright red after a few laps around Oulton.

16. pretty sure it will adopt the same process as the r26, no reason not to!

17. I had one fitted by Ktec to my Clio, it was the biggest pile of crap ever. The renault RAID system won't allow you to lock the doors with your fob whilst the engines running so even if you take the keys/card out and get out of the car you still have to hang around looking like a gimp till the engine switches off.

Needless to say I've removed it now.

18. yeah i tried it the other day lol it wont lock cheers m8, saves me the embarrassment now was thinking along the lines of one lmao,

also read somewhere that, meg have their own turbo time that reduces the limiter when cold - decreasing your revs untill warm - i have noticed if im rushing to work in the morning the limiter is not as high in rmp

can somebody with better knowledge confirm this please

jay

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It does but even if your hitting it I would suggest taking it a bit easier and wait for it to come up to temperature