R26 Turbo removal

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Yorkie, Jun 6, 2017.

1. any one changed their turbo? Been searching but just seem to find engine out and other nonsense which I don't believe.

I've got all the suspension off at the moment and already have decat so decent access underneath. Just can't quite tell if it will come out from the top or if it's going to get caught on the bulk head so if anyone's done it and can confirm it does clear or not and anything else to look out for would be appreciated.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Yorkie
    It will come out from the top but its a ball ache, you will have to take off the two dog bone mounts, one top and one at the bottom, then you can tilt the engine to get it to come out.

3. Cheers mate. Will see how it goes

4. i watched Speccy at RS tuning do mine, looked a right PITA

5. Done an hr at it. Drive shaft out and decat out there's decent access to the underneath. Did try with just the decat uncoupled and although you can get in there very little room to get any leverage on the ratchet. Should be able to get impact driver in now which should make easy work of it. Starting from scratch and having to take the suspension etc off would obviously add time. I'm doing a refresh at moment anyway so decided it made sense to do this at same time. Will se how awkward it is to get out tommorow weather permitting.

I'm half thinking of chucking a clutch in while everything is off aswell.

6. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Yorkie
    If you are going to do the clutch as well then 100% pull the whole engine out, last time i did this it took 3 1/3 hrs from driving the car into my workshop to having the engine o the floor, ohh and i don't have a ramp only a trolley jack :laughing:

7. Engine out not really an option at moment. Going to leave clutch for time being.

For those interested and any one doing a search in future the engine does not need to come out. If you have a cat still it would need to come out. Decat you can work round released from downpipe and turbo obviously. This gives access to the lower turbo manifold bolts and oil outlet. There is a pipe between the turbo and flexi type pipe that's easy to get to. I left this in place.
    I took the actuator and bov off to give more room.
    The water pipe attachment was awkward to work free from the turbo but does come free. With all the airbox inlet etc removed there's space on that side. I worked the turbo free through that opening which wasn't too difficult.

Fairly time consuming especially if you were taking the suspension off as part of just this job but not overly difficult. As is often the case the more you take off to get access the easier the job is rather than trying to work round parts in situ.