Turbo issue or just spool?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Harrison Varney, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Hi all, havent posted on here often since owning my Meg rs250 (good thing i guess :laughing:) but just wondered if you could help me out with a noise im getting from the turbo, ive owned turbo cars in the past done congersions etc. So pretty familiar with whats normal and whats not, however ive not heard the one in about to explain before so just thought id check with other owners..

So when coming onto boost in the lower gears (2nd/3rd) im getting a high pitched whistle as the boost kicks in, it can only be heard with windows open and in lower gears, higher gears sounds fine although im not sure whether this could be down to the fact there is more noise once traveling with the road etc. Ive not noticed it before which has led me to believe something has probably broken.. Once fully on boost i can no longer hear it. The car feels okay to drive, in regards to power loss the car felt a little sluggish yesterday although i wasnt too surprised due to the fact it was 33°c and kind of expected it with the temperatures and the aircon on. The noise is probably most evident when im in 2nd and put my foot down.

Sorry for the long read.. although i thought id incorporate as much info as possible to see if anyone could shed some light on it. Or if its just the normal spool of the turbos on the meganes. I have emailed KTEC who are 20min from me in hope they would be able to just give it a once over and check pipes, gaskets and turbo health to try and diagnose it or tell me im just being paranoid about noises(Which really isnt that uncommon for me) ‍:sweatsmile:although would also like to get some owners points of view too and see if yours does the same or if someones had this before?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Harrison

2. Tex

Tex

Could be a boost leak. Check all your pipework and if nothing obvious get a boost smoke test.

Harrison Varney likes this.
  3. Thanks mate. Ill give everything a check over and if i cant see anything get it to ktec sometime next week.